Mayor’s Small Business Awards nominees sought
Nominations are being accepted for the 2014 Mayor’s Small Business Awards, an annual recognition that honors outstanding small businesses in Maui County.
To be eligible, businesses must have 100 or fewer employees and a Hawaii general excise tax license for at least two years. Nominees will be judged on business leadership in a changing economic environment, a quality work environment for employees, the aloha spirit and exemplary customer service, partnerships with other sectors of the community and other exceptional qualities or traits.
The deadline for nominations is noon Feb. 11.
This year’s award categories include:
* Exceptional Small Business of the Year (10 or fewer employees).
* Exceptional Small Business of the Year (11 to 35 employees).
* Exceptional Small Business of the Year (35 to 100 employees).
* Outstanding Nonprofit Business.
* Young Small Business Person of the Year (under age 40 as of Feb. 26, 2014).
* Lifetime Achievement Award (for individuals doing business in Maui County with the same for-profit company for more than 20 years).
* The Annette Pau’ole-Ahakuelo Honorary Award (for a Molokai business).
“Small businesses are the true job generators, and owners risk a great deal to open their doors, create jobs, grow and stimulate our economy,” Mayor Alan Arakawa said. “Maui County is fortunate to have many successful small businesses that are known for their entrepreneurial spirit, innovation and ingenuity. I look forward to honoring them through this awards program.”
All nominees and winners will be honored at an awards dinner Feb. 26 at the Waikapu Ballroom of the King Kamehameha Golf Club.
Nomination forms may be found at the Maui County Business Resource Center at Maui Mall; the Maui Chamber of Commerce; the Mayor’s Office of Economic Development in Wailuku; and the Kuha’o Business Center on Molokai. The form also is available online at mauicounty.gov/ MCBRC or at mauicham ber.com, as well as on the Facebook pages of the Office of Economic Development and Maui Chamber of Commerce.
For more information, call the Maui County Business Resource Center at 873-8247 or the Maui Chamber of Commerce at 244-0081.