Wailuku Elementary team wins Seabury Maui Math Challenge
The Wailuku Elementary School team captured the Seabury Hall Maui Math Challenge, a mathematics competition for elementary school students, held in April on the Olinda campus.
The top individual honors went to Wailuku Elementary 5th-grader Jason Huynh for the individual written round and Pukalani Elementary 5th-grader Davin Fronda for the oral countdown round.
Forty-five students from seven public and private elementary schools on Maui participated in the event. The contest was open to 3rd- to 5th-graders.
The competition was the brainchild of Seabury Hall 8th-grader Jesse Doan and his mentor and math teacher, Steve Vurno. The competition was part of Doan’s 8th-grade project.
Doan is a math whiz in his own right and captained Hawaii’s team in the National Math Counts competition this month in Washington, D.C.
The Maui Math Challenge results follow:
* Overall team – Wailuku Elementary (Jason Huynh, Kazutaka Iinuma-Nakaaki, Michael Wong, Quinton Wong), first; Pukalani Elementary (Victor Pagan, David Fronda, Jade Torgerson, Kaylee Volner), second; Kahului Elementary (Jobelle Daludado, Rodessa Caguioa, Jayden Collado, Melina Perez).
* Overall individual written round – Jason Huynh, Wailuku Elementary, first; Davin Fronda, Pukalani Elementary, second; Victor Pagan, Pukalani Elementary, third.
* Overall oral countdown round – Davin Fronda, Pukalani Elementary, first; Quinton Wong, Wailuku Elementary, second; Jason Huynh, Wailuku Elementary, third.
* Individual written round grade 4 – Quinton Wong, Wailuku Elementary, first; Michael Wong, Wailuku Elementary, second; Kory Shirota, Kahului Elementary, third.
* Individual written round grade 3 – Sean “Aimi” Sakamoto, Pomaikai Elementary, first; Emma Fusato, Kula Elementary, second; Kaylee Volner, Pukalani Elementary, third.