Scholarship winners recognized
The Iao School Renaissance Program conducted its end-of-year awards program at H.P. Baldwin Auditorium on May 21. To mark the program’s 20th anniversary, the school presented additional appreciation awards, and Mayor Alan Arakawa recognized a student with a special essay award.
Outstanding Renaissance Academic Students (male and female)
Chayse Tamaki and Katie Yoshioka
Masao Okasako Award (for outstanding community service)
Mayor Alan Arakawa’s Special Essay Award Winner
First place Reece Kikuchi, second place Marcus Ayau, third place Lexi Yokote
First place Caitlin Villarosa, second place Kiara Espeleta, third place Kaleimaile Eldredge
First place Jane Cho, second place Kayla Takakura, third place Olivia Takakura
First place Mykaela Padron, second place Shalei Lee Awai, third place Alana Battad
First place Zen Ribao, second place Andrew Ordono
First place Kylie Davis, second place Joan Cho, third place Ronson Ishikawa
First place Kimi Kimura, second place Jacqueline Agorilla
First place Sarah Nassar, second place Meili Jahja, third place Jaelin Ishikawa
First place Jena Suzuki, second place Dayna Matsuo, third place Luka Masuda
First place Carl Antiado, second place Tasia Santos-Frame, third place Nathaniel Cremer
First place Alyssa Ordono, second place Cy Tamanaha, third place Justin Silva
First place Micah Jio, second place Kami Shimabuku, third place Emma Kaimiola
First place Braden Nishimoto, second place McKenzie Acob
First place Mindy Kimura, second place Tiara Kobayashi-Bautista, third place Darrian Cremer
First place Bryant Nakagawa, second place Tara Nobriga, third place Layce Yamauchi
First place Naomi Takakura, second place Tahiti Ahsam
First place Davin Kiyabu, second place Roxan Alforque
First place Emily McKeon, second place Katelin Izumigawa, third place Kyle Felix
Iao School also recognized the following people for their contributions to the Iao School Renaissance Program since it began in 1993:
* Nelson Yoshina (retired teacher and registrar) for introducing and starting the program.
* Dr. and Mrs. James Furukawa for financing, sponsoring and supporting the program.
* Mona Smout (student services coordinator) for chairing the scholarship portion of the program.
* Outstanding Business Partner for the 2012-2013 school year: Printers Inc. and Wailuku Rapid Print, Wayne Kobayashi, owner.
* Major Sponsors: Nagamine Photo Studio, VIP Food Service, Hawaiian Island Creations and Michiko Okasako.