East Maui Watershed inspires artists
Since the opening of East Maui Watershed Partnership’s Annual Malama Wao Akua juried art exhibition at Viewpoints Gallery in Makawao, art enthusiasts and general public alike have been casting their vote for their favorite art piece in this year’s show.
The votes have been counted and the results are in. This year’s People’s Choice winner is Eleykaa Tahleh, who created a Japanese watercolor with mixed media titled “First Light (triptych).”
Other award winners include:
* Juror’s Choice 2-D: Chad Adolpho, “Mauka to Makai”
* Juror’s Choice 3-D: Mary Ann Leigh, “Curious Branta sanvicensis”
* Juror’s Choice Photography: David Schoonover, ” ‘Amakihi on Lobelia grayana”
* Keiki Division High School: Troy Kojenlang, “The Beautiful Nene”
* Keiki Division Middle School: Skylar Lickle, ” ‘Uki ‘Uki”
* Keiki Division Elementary: Samara Ricarde, “Flying in Paradise”
* Conservation at Work: Noble Richardson, “Had They Fed You Swine”
* Rarest Find: Lisa E. Kasprzycki, “Wao Akua”
This year’s jurors were art instructors Janet Sato and Pamela Hayes, along with Hank Oppenheimer, Maui Nui plant extinction prevention coordinator.