Two libraries offer free programs
Kihei Public Library and Makawao Public Library will offer free programs this month:
* Wednesday, 6:30 p.m. – “Upcountry Celtic Band Concert” at Makawao Public Library. The Upcountry Celtic Band will perform lively, foot-tapping music with a variety of traditional Celtic and Irish instruments. The one-hour concert is suitable for the whole family.
* March 17, 6:30 p.m. – “Celtic Stories of Old” at Makawao Public Library. Storyteller Ann Nehaya Walsh will share ancient tales of gods, goddesses, giants and wise creatures. The Maui Friends of the Library is sponsoring this 45-minute program recommended for teens and adults.
* March 22, 3 p.m. – “Celtic Stories of Old” at Kihei Public Library with Walsh (see details above).
* March 18, 6 p.m. – “Exploring Judy Chicago’s ‘The Dinner Party’: A Celebration of Women throughout History” at Kihei Public Library. Retired college professor Carol Hogard will give a presentation on artist Judy Chicago’s “The Dinner Party,” in celebration of Women’s History Month. “The Dinner Party,” a monumental work of art housed in the Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art in New York’s Brooklyn Museum, honors women of outstanding achievement. This 90-minute presentation for adults will include a virtual tour of “The Dinner Party” on the Brooklyn Museum’s website.
* March 19,10:30 a.m. at Kihei Public Library – “Sing Along with Uncle Wayne and the Howling Dog Band.” Wayne Watkins and his band will perform in the children’s area. Toddlers, preschoolers and their families and caregivers are invited to get ready for rhythm, songs, creative movement and laughter. The Maui Friends of the Library is sponsoring this 45-minute program.
Contact the hosting library as soon as possible if a sign language interpreter or other special accommodation is needed, or for more information.
The phone number for Makawao Public Library is 573-8785 and the number for Kihei Public Library is 875-6833. Programs are subject to change.