Probation for Molokai man in assault of wife
A 54-year-old Molokai man who cut his wife’s nose with a Japanese sickle during an argument last year was sentenced last month to five years’ probation and ordered to serve 200 hours of community service.
In following a plea agreement, 2nd Circuit Judge Joseph Cardoza handed the sentence down Dec. 20 to Antone Keawe, who pleaded no contest to second-degree assault, court records show.
Two other charges of abuse of a family or household member and interfering with reporting an emergency or crime were dismissed in the agreement, records show.
Around 6:30 p.m. April 3, Keawe’s wife attempted to call 911 after the couple got into an argument at a Kaunakakai home. Records show that Keawe then grabbed the cordless phone and its base and threw it outside the home.
He then took a Japanese serrated sickle from the patio and held it to the woman’s face and cut her nose.
Police said she suffered a 1/4-inch laceration to the lip of her nose. The woman said that Keawe threw the phone at her foot, records show.
In an unrelated case on Dec. 20, 2nd Circuit Judge Peter Cahill sentenced 29-year-old Tosuo Hans to one year probation and 180 days in jail for inappropriately touching a teenage girl and for violating his probation in an old abuse case.
Hans, also known as Kiroro Hans, was credited for time previously served in jail, and he was ordered to stay away from the victim and her family.
Hans was resentenced to one-year probation for violating his probation in the 2011 abuse case, records show.
In the most recent case, Hans grabbed the buttocks of the teenager on Sept. 24, 2010. In that case, he pleaded no contest to a reduced charge of third-degree assault. He was originally charged with third-degree sexual assault, records show.
In his 2011 abuse case, Hans had punched his on-again, off-again girlfriend four to five times while they were with friends at the beach fronting Maui Beach Hotel on the night of Sept. 3, 2011, records show.
The woman said that she fell to the ground and Hans kicked her in the torso. She was able to get help when she ran to a nearby gas station.
In another unrelated case on Dec. 20, 2nd Circuit Judge Richard Bissen sentenced 24-year-old Mikioi J. Roback of Haiku to five years’ probation for illegally having an unregistered and unloaded firearm in his vehicle.
Roback was credited for the eight days he had already spent in jail, and Bissen gave Roback a chance to clear his record if he successfully completes probation. Roback was ordered not to possess firearms or ammunition.
Deputy Public Defender Jim Rouse asked the court for no further jail and said Roback has good family support.
Deputy Prosecutor Kim Whitworth said Roback was not only was endangering himself, but could have put his girlfriend and young child in danger.
According to court records, Roback’s girlfriend called police May 15 to report that Roback allegedly tried to commit suicide and had left in his truck, which also contained his rifle.
When police caught up with him at Maui Grown Market in Haiku, Roback refused to stop his vehicle and kept driving. When he was later arrested, he tried to squirm out of the officer’s grasp, records said.
He later admitted to police he had a gun and ammunition in his truck and had no permit and the firearm was not registered.
Roback pleaded no contest to place to keep an unloaded firearm other than pistols and revolvers and prohibited possession of a firearm.
Two other firearms-related charges were dismissed according to a plea agreement, records show.
In another unrelated case on Dec. 20, Bissen followed a plea agreement in sentencing 22-year-old Laulea Santiago to five years’ probation in a kidnapping incident involving his girlfriend in February.
Bissen ordered Santiago to complete domestic violence intervention classes, and he gave Santiago a chance to clear his record if he successfully completes probation.
Santiago apologized and said he wanted to make a better life for his young daughter.
Both the defense and the prosecution gave different accounts what happened Feb. 2.
Defense attorney Ben Lowenthal said it was Santiago’s girlfriend who was the aggressor when an argument occurred in a truck and that the girlfriend had jumped from the truck.
He added that the victim did not show up to testify at a grand jury hearing but later she wrote a letter asking for punishment for Santiago.
But Deputy Prosecutor Kristin Coccaro said that Santiago was the aggressor and deserved punishment.
She said Santiago had punched his girlfriend and stopped her from calling for help from her cellphone. He also threw her into bushes alongside a highway.
She added that residents, including one resident below the Kula Post Office, had called 911 after hearing screaming and a car burning rubber during the Feb. 2 incident.
Coccaro said Santiago did not show one shred of responsibility in his letter to the court and but put the blame on his girlfriend.
Santiago pleaded no contest to kidnapping. Charges of abuse of a family or household member, second-degree theft and first-degree terroristic threatening were dismissed in accordance with a plea agreement, records show.