Maui County businesses receive honors
The late Douglas Wayne “Butch” Akina and Sandra Akina of Akina Aloha Tours were presented with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the Mayor’s Small Business Awards event Feb. 21 in the King Kamehameha Golf Club’s Waikapu Ballroom.
The other winners were:
* Young Small Business Person of the Year – David “Boze” Kapoi of Pride Ink.
* Exceptional Small Business (10 or fewer employees) – Paris Nababi of Cilantro Mexican Grill.
* Exceptional Small Business (11-25 employees) – David and Ululani Yamashiro of Ululani’s Hawaiian Shave Ice LLC.
* Exceptional Small Business (26-50 employees) – Daniel Boren of Skyline Eco-Adventures LLC.
* Outstanding Non-Profit Business – Habitat for Humanity Maui.
The awards were presented by Mayor Alan Arakawa and his Office of Economic Development and the Maui Chamber of Commerce.
“Small business is Maui County’s most important economic engine, and we should never forget the sacrifices that business owners make every day to keep their businesses operating,” said Arakawa. “They take on risk, work long hours, and put their personal assets on the line while providing jobs, services and goods to our community. We are fortunate to have such a strong small-business community in Maui County and are privileged to honor them.”