Meetings planned on budget
The Maui County Council’s Budget and Finance Committee has scheduled community meetings for public comments on Mayor Alan Arakawa’s proposed fiscal 2013-14 budget.
The mayor is scheduled to unveil his budget this morning.
With the exception of the Central Maui community gathering, all of the community meetings will begin at 6 p.m. The Wailuku-Waihee-Waikapu-Kahului meeting will be held at 6:30 p.m. April 17 in the Lihikai Elementary School cafeteria.
Other scheduled meetings are:
* South Maui, April 1 at the Kihei Community Center.
* Pukalani-Kula-Ulupala-kua, April 3 at the Mayor Hannibal Tavares Community Center.
* Makawao-Haiku-Paia, April 4 at the Paia Community Center.
* Hana-Keanae-Kailua, April 8 at Helene Social Hall, Hana.
* West Maui, April 10 at the Lahaina Civic Center.
* Lanai, April 12 at the Lanai Senior Center.
* Molokai, April 15 at the Mitchell Pauole Center, Kaunakakai.
Committee Chairman Mike White encouraged residents to attend the meetings to share their views about the county’s annual spending plan.
“Receiving public input is an important part of the budget process,” he said. “Through this process, the council is able to craft a budget that is in the best interests of Maui County residents.”