Attack suspect out on bail, waves hearing

WAILUKU – A second suspect in an attack on a man outside his Honokowai apartment will be arraigned in 2nd Circuit Court after agreeing to waive a preliminary hearing that had been set for Tuesday.

Brok Carlton, 39, of Kihei is charged with kidnapping, first-degree robbery, second-degree assault and unauthorized control of a propelled vehicle. He was released after posting bail, which had been set by police at $260,000.

The attack occurred at about 9:15 p.m. March 21 on the second floor of the Maui Sands complex on Lower Honoapiilani Road in Honokowai.

During a preliminary hearing Monday for co-defendant Noah Thomas-Francis, Andy Burkhart testified that he was punched, kicked and hit with aluminum baseball bats while he was on the ground outside his apartment. He also said attempts were made to zip-tie his hands and feet before gasoline was poured over him.

His four attackers fled when police sirens could be heard in the distance and neighbors yelled at the men to stop, Burkhart said.

He identified Carlton and Thomas-Francis as two of the attackers and said he didn’t know the other two men who were wielding the bats.

Burkhart said he formerly worked for Carlton, who has an air conditioning business, and had socialized with Thomas-Francis. Carlton had accused Burkhart of stealing money, which Burkhart denied.

Carlton had been charged with first-degree assault.

But after the charge wasn’t upheld against Thomas-Francis after his preliminary hearing Monday, the prosecution amended the charge against Carlton to second-degree assault.

At Deputy Prosecutor Emlyn Higa’s request, Carlton was ordered to stay at least 100 yards away from Burkhart’s residence.

Carlton is scheduled to be arraigned April 11 in 2nd Circuit Court.