Top parade picks in Makawao
Residents and visitors lined the streets of Makawao town on Saturday morning and were treated to decorated horses, floats and music during the 48th annual Makawao Paniolo Parade, the theme of which was “Hanohano Na Paniolo,” or distinguished are the paniolo (cowboy).
The grand marshal was Peter Baldwin, former president of Haleakala Ranch.
The following were category winners in the parade:
* Best Parade Horse – “I’m a Tuff West Too,” ridden by Charlene Thompson-McCameron.
* Best Mounted Rider – Maui Roping Club Queen, Lauren Egger.
* Best Mounted Group – The Lilikoi Ladies.
* Best Mounted Pair – Joyce Graham and Nina Sato.
* Best Mounted Keiki – Happy Trails Riding Club, Diana Robinson.
* Most Unusual Entry – Maui Touch Ranch.
* Best Musical Entry – King Kekaulike High School Band.
* Best Costume Mounted – Rose C. Freitas.
* Best Float Entry – Haleakala Ranch.
* Best Representation of Theme – 4th Marine Division.
The 58th annual Makawao Rodeo continues today at 1 p.m. at the Oskie Rice Arena.