2 waive hearings in Minit Stop robbery

WAILUKU – Two of the three men arrested in a robbery attempt last month at Minit Stop in Wailuku are scheduled to be arraigned next week in 2nd Circuit Court after agreeing Tuesday to waive preliminary hearings in their cases.

Arraignments are set Aug. 15 for Joyner Recheungel, 25, of Kahului and Stanceford Kaina Jr., 23, of Wailuku.

Both are charged with first-degree robbery and three counts of first-degree terroristic threatening in connection with the robbery attempt at 6:50 a.m. July 24 at the Minit Stop at Main Street and Central Avenue.

A third defendant, Rowan Sombelon, 24, of Wailuku, was released after posting a $13,000 bail bond on the charges and is scheduled to appear next month in Wailuku District Court.

Police said Recheungel held what appeared to be a semi-automatic pistol, and Sombelon had a collapsible baton when they entered the store wearing hooded sweatshirts and masks. They were apprehended nearby by police after running from the store as police sirens were heard approaching. Police reported recovering the weapons, including the pistol that turned out to be a pellet gun.

Kaina, who was identified as the lookout and getaway driver, was arrested when he was stopped and ticketed for speeding on Honoapiilani Highway in Maalaea by a Kihei patrol officer doing enforcement as part of Operation SPEED, police said.

During appearances Tuesday afternoon in Wailuku District Court, Recheungel and Kaina agreed to forgo preliminary hearings as part of plea agreements with the prosecution, their attorneys said.

Both men are being held in lieu of $65,000 bail at the Maui Community Correctional Center.