County looking for reports on damage

If anyone has suffered storm-related damage from Tropical Depression Flossie, they are asked to report it to the Maui County Civil Defense Agency to ensure the county has complete information on damage.

An online damage report form can be found at

Anyone unable to use the online form may call Civil Defense at 270-7285. The Civil Defense reports are due to the county by Friday.

The damage reports are not applications for financial or other assistance. Affected parties must file claims with their insurance companies, a county news release said.

The state Civil Defense said that those who have suffered damage should review their insurance policies and contact their insurers. If one has questions or if an insurer denies a claim one feels is covered by his or her policy, the consumer should contact the Hawaii Insurance Division at (808) 586-2790.

Keeping good records and taking photos will help with any damage claims made through insurance and can make it easier to qualify for aid if it becomes available, state Civil Defense said.

Data collected from residents’ damage reports will allow county officials to determine if Maui County will qualify for state or federal assistance as well as assistance with flood plain mapping.

For more information, go online to or call 270-7285.