Five MPD officers rise to rank of sergeant
Five Maui Police Department officers have been promoted to sergeant, effective Sunday.
The new sergeants are:
* Alan Brown, who began working with MPD in 1993 after serving in the U.S. Army. He has been assigned to the Lahaina, Molokai and Wailuku patrol districts. Most recently, he has been the visitor-oriented policing officer in Kihei.
Brown and his wife, Bernice, have three children – Jasmine, Alan Jr. and Kaitlyn.
* James Terry, a 12-year MPD veteran who attended the University of Oregon. He has worked in Lahaina, Hana, Kihei and Wailuku patrol districts. He is a member of the Highway Incident Traffic Technician Team, Crisis Intervention Team, PEER Support and Honor Guard. Terry also serves as a Taser instructor.
He has been a school resource officer at Maui High School. Terry lives in Kahului with his wife and son.
* Derek Kaaukai, an officer since 1995, who has worked in the Wailuku Patrol District and Domestic Violence Unit. He and his wife, Casey, have four children – Zaida, Caleb, Taylor and Kainoa.
* Gregg Rowe, who joined MPD in 2001 and graduated with the 57th Recruit Class. He was assigned to the Wailuku Patrol District and was a field training officer, participating in various areas of recruit training. In 2008, Rowe was promoted to the Traffic Section’s Vehicle Homicide Unit, which investigates fatal and near-fatal vehicle collisions. He is a member of MPD’s riot team and mobile command vehicle team.
In his time off, Rowe enjoys spending time with his wife, Nola, and going fishing with family and friends.
* Stuart Kunioka, who began his MPD career in July 1999. He has been assigned to the Hana Patrol District and Wailuku Patrol District, where he also was a field training officer. Kunioka has been an instructor for landlord/tenant code and Maui County ordinances. In his most recent assignment, he served the Paia and Haiku areas as part of the Community Policing Unit. The unit was named MPD Team of the Year for the 2012 to 2013 fiscal year.
He and his wife, Jodi, have one child, Ethan.