Free hepatitis tests available Monday
The state Department of Health will provide free hepatitis testing for uninsured residents, and Walgreens will offer free hepatitis risk assessment and referral information for patients to take to their primary care physicians Monday on World Hepatitis Day.
The Maui County testing sites are:
* Wailuku Health Center, 121 Mahalani St., Wailuku; call for appointment for hepatitis B and C testing, 984-2129.
* Maui AIDS Foundation, 1935 Main St., No. 101, Wailuku, 242-4900, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., hepatitis C testing only.
* Ka Hale Pomaika’i, HC-01 Box 372, Kamehameha V Highway, Molokai, 558-8480, 1 to 4 p.m., hepatitis C testing only.
The free Walgreens assessments are at:
* Walgreens Market/Wells, 99 S. Market St., No. 201, Wailuku, 242-7095, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday to Friday; 9 am. to noon, Saturday.
* Walgreens Keawe/Honoa-piilani, 342 Keawe St., Building D, Lahaina, 667-9515, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., Monday to Friday; 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday; 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Sunday.
* Walgreens Kamehameha/Puunene, 10 Kamehameha Ave., 872-3301, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., Monday to Friday; 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday; 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Sunday.
Hepatitis means “inflammation of the liver,” and viral hepatitis is a collection of viruses (the most common being types A, B and C) that attack the liver and may lead to liver disease and liver cancer. Common symptoms of hepatitis infection include loss of appetite, fatigue, mild fever, muscle or joint aches, nausea and vomiting and abdominal pain.
Hepatitis A is spread when fecal matter enters the body orally in contaminated food or water. Hepatitis B and C are transmitted through blood and other body fluids.