Nominees for Palaka award are accepted
Nominations for the 2014 Michael H. Lyons II Palaka Award, given to a volunteer of a Maui County nonprofit organization, are open through May 31, the Rotary Club of Kahului announced.
The award recognizes outstanding long-term, substantial volunteer service to Maui County nonprofit organizations. Created in honor of Michael Lyons’ community support, the award is named for the signature palaka shirts he wore.
The candidate criteria include people who:
* Devoted a minimum of five years of service either as a board member or as a member of a working/standing committee of a Maui County nonprofit organization.
* Made a contribution that is both significant and enduring to the organization and/or the community/constituents the nonprofit serves.
* Offer consistent service to the organization that demonstrates commitment and dedication to the nonprofit’s mission and vision.
* Embody the aloha spirit and genuine care and compassion for fellow volunteers, staff and the constituents served.
* Exemplify the Rotary motto of “Service Above Self” and uphold an ethical code of conduct in alignment with the Rotary philosophy.
Up to six finalists will be named with the winner announced at the Palaka Awards Luncheon on Aug. 1 at the King Kamehameha Golf Club. This luncheon is the primary fundraiser for the club’s Michael H. Lyons II Memorial Scholarship Fund, providing financial assistance to college-bound Maui youth.