Nominations sought for Mayor’s Small Business Awards
The Maui News
Nominations are currently being accepted for the Mayor’s Small Business Awards, which recognize outstanding businesses in the county with 100 or fewer workers.
The annual awards are presented by the mayor’s Office of Economic Development and the Maui Chamber of Commerce. All finalists and winners will be honored at an awards dinner March 7 in the Waikapu Ballroom of the King Kamehameha Golf Club.
Nominees also are required to have had a state general excise tax license for no less than two years. Selection criteria include demonstrating business leadership in a changing economic environment, creating a quality work environment for employees, exhibiting the aloha spirit and exemplary customer service, developing partnerships with other sectors of the community, and demonstrating other exceptional qualities or traits.
There are six award categories:
* Exceptional Small Business of the Year (10 or fewer employees).
* Exceptional Small Business of the Year (11 to 35 employees).
* Exceptional Small Business of the Year (36 to 100 employees).
* Outstanding Non-Profit Business (100 or fewer employees).
* Young Small Business Person of the Year (under age 40 as of March 7, 2017).
* Lifetime Achievement Award (for any individual doing business in Maui County for more than 20 years; no limit on number of employees).
Completed nomination packets must be received at the Maui County Business Resource Center at the Maui Mall by 4:30 p.m. Feb. 10. Submissions must include the nomination form, nomination criteria form, one typewritten letter of recommendation from other sources, and a high-resolution (minimum 300 dpi) digital photograph of the nominee. No self or employer nominations will be accepted.
Nomination forms are available online at www.mauicounty.gov/MCBRC and www.mauichamber.com. Paper copies may be picked up at the Maui County Business Resource Center at the Maui Mall; the Maui Chamber of Commerce; and American Savings Bank, Bank of Hawaii, Central Pacific Bank and First Hawaiian Bank branches.
For more information about nominations, available sponsorships or event ticket purchases, contact the Maui County Business Resource Center at 270-5767 or the Maui Chamber of Commerce at 244-0081.