Maui County charity walks take in over $1M for second year
Maui island raised the most in state
The Maui News
Visitor Industry Charity Walks on the three islands in Maui County in May raised $1,212,066, and the Maui island total was the highest of any island in the state for the eighth straight year, the Maui Hotel & Lodging Association said Thursday.
The 39th walks in the county exceeded the million-dollar mark for a second straight year and drew more than 3,000 walkers.
The Maui island walk raised $1,134,642; the one on Lanai, $43,315; and the one on Molokai, $34,109. The Lanai and Molokai walks were held on May 6 and the Maui walk on May 13.
The funds raised go to 112 Maui County nonprofit organizations, said Lisa Paulson, executive director of the Maui Hotel & Lodging Association. “The range of services of these recipients touches many residents’ lives from children to the elderly, from athletic organizations to service-related agencies; from health to housing,” she said.
A Charity Reception was held at the Maui Beach Hotel on Thursday. Top fundraisers were recognized at the event:
• Individual Raising the Most Funds — Dan Williams, Westside Hoops, $48,325; Genevieve Ruvald, Westside Hoops, $45,200; Mitch Mitchell, Hale Makua Health Services, $31,175.
• Business Raising the Most Funds — Bank of Hawaii, $12,454; Maui Vacation Rental Association, $10,277; VIP Food Service, $4,423.
• Nonprofit Raising the Most Funds — Westside Hoops, $109,570; Maui Memorial Medical Center Foundation, $84,523; Hale Makua Health Services, $81,955.
• Hotel Property Raising the Most Per Employee — Maui Condo & Home Vacations, $360/employee; Kahana Falls, $260/employee; Maui Beach Hotel, $136/employee.
• Property Raising the Most Funds — Grand Wailea Resort & Spa, $54,000; Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa, $32,848; Marriott Maui Ocean Club, $20,330.
• Restaurant Raising the Most Funds — Tri-Star Restaurant Group, $6,500.
MHLA is a nonprofit organization founded in 1987 to advocate for the visitor industry. For more information, contact MHLA at 244-8625 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Next year’s charity walks are scheduled for May 5 on Molokai and Lanai and May 12 on Maui.