Open house meetings set to discuss parks
The Maui News
County parks and recreation facilities will be discussed in a series of open-house meetings this month, the Department of Parks and Recreation announced Thursday.
The events will focus on overall district needs and aquatics facilities.
The open houses will run from Sept. 11 to 21 and meet in the West Maui, Central Maui, Upcountry, South Maui, Lanai, Molokai and Hana districts. The meetings are part of the department’s preparation of a system plan to define future recreation needs, an overall strategy and specific capital improvements.
An aquatics facilities plan also is part of the project, which was initiated in July.
Open house participants may offer ideas to improve parks, programs and aquatic and recreation facilities. They also may suggest the kinds of parks needed in each district and learn about the condition of existing facilities. A 2016 scientific survey of recreation patterns will be available for review.
Project consultants and department staff will be present. No formal presentation will be given, but attendees can write comments and speak to staff at five to six stations.
The open-house schedule follows:
• Sept. 11, 5 to 7:30 p.m. at Lahaina Civic Center.
• Sept. 12, 5 to 7:30 p.m. at Kahului Community Center.
• Sept. 13, 5 to 7:30 p.m. at the Mayor Hannibal Tavares Community Center in Pukalani.
• Sept. 14, 5 to 7:30 p.m. at Kenolio Recreation Center in Kihei.
• Sept. 16, 5 to 7:30 p.m. at Lanai Community Center in Lanai City.
• Sept. 19, 4 to 6:30 p.m. at Mitchell Pauole Center in Kaunakakai.
• Sept. 21, 4 to 6:30 p.m. at Helene Hall in Hana.
Following the meetings, the department and its consultants will prepare draft plans for all of the county’s park districts. An aquatics facilities plan will be prepared. It will summarize the analysis of existing pools, recommend specific improvements and projects, and estimate costs for staffing and maintenance.
Implementation plans and potential funding options also will be included.
For more information, contact department planner David Yamashita at 270-6508 or email@example.com.