Thursday’s fair parade to affect traffic, bus routes
Free park-and-ride shuttles offered
The Maui News – Motorists should be aware of road closures and delays for the Maui Fair Parade, which begins at 4:30 p.m. Thursday at the entrance to the University of Maui College campus on Kaahumanu Avenue and ends at the War Memorial Stadium parking lot.
There also will be changes in Maui Bus routes due to the parade.
The parade route will run from the college, turn right onto the Wailuku-bound lanes of Kaahumanu Avenue, then turn right onto Kanaloa Avenue to Maehara Stadium.
Kaahumanu Avenue lanes heading to Wailuku and Kanaloa Avenue will be closed at 4:15 p.m., said Jaime Cardoza, parade chairman. The roads will reopen about 6:30 p.m. Portions of surrounding streets also will be blocked, he said.
Maui Bus service will be rerouted and specific bus stops will be eliminated due to the parade. The changes follow:
• Lahaina Islander (Lahaina bound). The 4:40 and 5:40 p.m. Wells Street and Waikapu stops from Queen Ka’ahumanu Center heading to Lahaina will be eliminated.
• Kahului Loop Route No. 5. The 3:38, 4:38 and 5:38 p.m. Wahinepio/Maui Arts & Cultural Center stop from Queen Ka’ahumanu Center and the 4:41 and 5:41 p.m. Roselani Place and Papa Avenue/Kea Street stops will be eliminated.
• Kahului Reverse Loop Route No. 6. The 2:42, 3:42, 4:42 and 5:42 p.m. Wahinepio/UH-Maui College stop going to Queen Ka’ahumanu Center and the 4:39 and 5:39 p.m. Roselani Place and Papa Avenue/Kea Street stops will be eliminated.
• Wailuku Loop Route No. 1. The 4:36 and 5:36 p.m. Maui Memorial Medical Center and Maui Lani Parkway stops and the 4:22, 5:22 and 6:22 p.m. Kanaloa Avenue stops will be eliminated.
• Wailuku Reverse Loop Route No. 2. The 4:03, 5:03 and 6:03 p.m. Kanaloa Avenue stops will be eliminated. The remaining bus routes will operate normally with some deviation in street routing but will continue to serve all other existing stops.
Passengers are asked to expect delays due to the increased traffic during the parade.
During Maui Fair hours, Wailuku Loop Route No. 1 and Wailuku Reverse Loop Route No. 2 will not service any of the stops on Kanaloa Avenue due to the heavy traffic in the area. These buses will be rerouted onto Wahinepio Avenue during fair hours.
The Maui Bus is provided by the County of Maui and operated by Roberts Hawaii.
For more information, contact Roberts Hawaii at 871-4838 or the county Department of Transportation at 270-7511.
General bus schedule information may be found on all county buses and is available online at www.mauicounty.gov/bus.
Queen Ka’ahumanu Center is providing a free, round-trip shuttle between the center bus stop and the fair from Friday through Sunday. The shuttle will run from 5 to 9 p.m. Friday and 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
The shuttle will depart the center on the hour with fair pickup on the half hour, depending on traffic. The free shuttle is made possible by Queen Ka’ahumanu Center and Travel Plaza Transportation Hawai’i.
For more information, visit queenkaahumanucenter.com or stop at the guest services desk at the mall.
There also will be satellite park-and-ride destinations. They are located at the county building parking lot on High Street and the Wells Park parking lot along Wells Street. Park-and-ride options also will be available at the UH-Maui College soccer fields along Wahinepio Avenue and Keopuolani Park.
On Thursday, the park-and-ride shuttles will run from 6 to 11:30 p.m.; on Friday and Saturday from 6 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.; and Sunday from 6 to 11:30 p.m. Park-and-ride buses run every 10 to 20 minutes.
Maui Bus commuter parking, normally allowed at the War Memorial Stadium parking lot, will be relocated to the Kahului Boat Ramp from today through Sunday.