Legislative advocacy workshops planned
The Legislative Reference Bureau will hold a series of free presentations and workshops this month aimed at helping people get their voices heard at the state Capitol.
The event locations, times and dates in Maui County are:
• Lanai City; 5 to 6:30 p.m. Monday at the Lanai Senior Center, 309 Seventh St.
• Kahului; 6 to 7 p.m. Nov. 15 at the University of Hawaii Maui College’s Laulima 105.
• Kihei; 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. Nov. 16 at the Kenolio Recreation Center, 131 S. Kihei Road.
• Wailuku; 6 to 7 p.m. Nov. 16 at the Wailuku Public Library, 251 S. High St.
• Kaunakakai; 6 to 7 p.m. Nov. 20 at the Mitchell Pauole Community Center, 90 Ainoa St.
Attendees will get tips and techniques for effective lobbying, testimony and communicating with state senators and representatives. They’ll learn about the legislative process, lawmakers’ deadlines and “power dynamics” at the Capitol. They’ll be tutored about easy-to-use tools available on the Legislature’s website. And, they’ll receive handouts, guides and informational resources.
For more information, call the Public Access Room at (808) 587-0478, send email to email@example.com or visit LRBhawaii.org/PAR.