Man charged in assault

The Maui News

WAILUKU — A Makawao man was arrested on robbery and other charges for allegedly assaulting a driver and stealing his car last year at a Kahului car wash.

Cy Ribucan, 22, had his bail increased to $120,000 during his initial appearance Tuesday in Wailuku District Court. He is charged with first-degree robbery, first-degree assault, unauthorized control of a propelled vehicle and second-degree theft.

At about 1:30 a.m. June 26, 2016, the victim was vacuuming his car at Wiki Wai Car Wash when a man walking through the parking lot began talking to him, according to a declaration filed in court.

Surveillance video showed the victim handing his cellphone to the other man before both walked to the driver’s side of the victim’s car. The man is seen punching the victim once in the face, knocking him to the ground.

Then the robber drove away in the victim’s car with his cellphone, police said.

The car, a 2013 Ford Focus, was later found abandoned on Piiholo Road in Makawao, according to police.

After the surveillance video was posted Oct. 9 on the Maui Police Department’s Facebook page, police officers and others identified the suspect as Ribucan.

Police had sought the public’s help in locating him before he was arrested Saturday.

Ribucan had been living on Oahu and working in construction before returning to Maui and turning himself in when he learned there was a warrant for his arrest, his attorney said when Ribucan appeared in court for another case Monday.

In that case, he has pleaded not guilty to unauthorized control of a propelled vehicle and second-degree resisting an order to stop a motor vehicle for a Jan. 3 incident involving a stolen Kawasaki motorcycle. His bail was set at $5,000 in that case.

Police said Ribucan also was arrested for the theft of a motorcycle June 11 outside Kula Bistro restaurant. He was released pending further investigation in that case.

In court Tuesday, Ribucan was ordered to stay away from Wiki Wai Car Wash at 156 E. Wakea Ave. and to have no contact with the victim, who now lives in Maine.