Names & Faces
* Maui Beach Hotel’s Ernesto Cabrera and Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa’s Joyce Tihada were honored Sept. 13 by the Maui Hotel & Lodging Association as individuals who contributed to Maui’s hospitality industry through exceptional service, professionalism and the aloha spirit, according to a news release from MHLA.
Cabrera, who is employed as a bellman at the Kahului hotel, received the association’s “Outstanding Employee” award.
Tihada, a PBX operator at the Kaanapali resort, was presented with the “Legacy Award.”
Also recognized by MHLA were The Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas, “Outstanding Property”; and First Hawaiian Bank, “Outstanding Allied Member.”
* Donna Ting of Tri Isle Realty & Development Co. in Wailuku received an honorable mention in Realtor Magazine’s Good Neighbor Awards and will receive a $2,500 grant for the nonprofit organization La’akea.
The Good Neighbor Awards are supported by realtor.com and Wells Fargo Home Mortgage. Nominees were judged on their personal contribution of time as well as financial and material contributions to benefit their cause.
* Kristine B. Schneider, an independent sales associate affiliated with Coldwell Banker Island Properties in Kahului, has completed Coldwell Banker University’s Smart Home Technology Education Course, which provides an extensive look into the evolution of home technology with a focus on how smart-home products are changing the way people live in and interact with their homes.
“Smart home technology is entering the mainstream and quickly becoming a staple in homes across the country,” Schneider said in an announcement. “The Smart Home Technology course has helped me sharpen my knowledge on the smart home and the products available, which in turn will allow me to better inform my clients when making smart home decisions.”
* Kris Rasos has been named financial controller at Hale Makua Health Services, where he oversees day-to-day operations of all accounting and business office functions, including interpreting, coordinating and administering the organization’s policies on finance, accounting, patient billing, payroll, internal controls and auditing.
Rasos, who previously served as the financial controller at Maui Country Club, received a bachelor’s degree in accounting from Chaminade University in Honolulu.
* Dr. Frank Lassisse Jr. has joined the team of veterinarians at At Home Animal Hospital and Mobile Veterinary Services’ Kahului clinic.
Lassisse is a graduate of University of California, Davis School of Veterinary Medicine and completed a one-year surgical internship in New York state. He has been an associate veterinarian in general, specialty and emergency practices in Hawaii, California, New York, Oregon and Washington state.
* The Maui Hotel & Lodging Association, a nonprofit organization founded in 1987 to advocate for the visitor industry, installed its 2017-18 board of directors during a Sept. 13 meeting.
The board members are executive director Lisa Paulson of the Maui Hotel & Lodging Association; chair Angela Nolan of Vistana Signature Experiences, Hawaii; vice chair Thomas Foti of Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa; treasurer Sharon Suzuki of Maui Electric Co.; Nancy Chaplick of Oceanic Time Warner Cable; Bill Countryman of Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Fred Findlen of Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa; Mufi Hannemann of the Hawaii Lodging & Tourism Association; Richard Holtzman of Montage Kapalua Bay; Michael Jokovich of Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort; Gregg Lundberg of Blue Hawaiian Helicopters; Gregg Nelson of Napili Kai Beach Resort; Ryan Nobriga of The West Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas; Greg Peros of Maui Beach Hotel; Aaron Placourakis of Tri-Star Restaurant Group; Jean Claude Wietzel of Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea; Mike White of Ka’anapali Beach Hotel; and Tetsuji Yamazaki of Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa.
* Destination Maui Inc. has announced the appointment of Paul O. Gomez as vice president of Destination Maui Vacations. Gomez has over 30 years of experience in the hotel industry and has served on the board of the Maui Hotel & Lodging Association.
* Names & Faces is published on the first Monday of the month and welcomes news releases and announcements regarding new hires and employee promotions and awards at businesses in Maui County. Photos of the employee will be accepted as well. To submit material or for more information, contact Leah Sherman at email@example.com.