Waiehu man released on bail in assault case

The Maui News

A Waiehu man charged with assaulting another man in the parking lot of a Wailuku business last month has been released after posting $10,000 bail.

Jonah Kaahu Sr., 33, has pleaded not guilty to second-degree assault.

The assault was reported in the early-morning hours of Oct. 28 at Miko’s Cuisine at 1764 Wili Pa Loop.

At a court hearing Monday, Kaahu was ordered to stay at least 100 yards away from the business and to have no contact with the victim.

Deputy Prosecutor Kenton Werk asked that Kaahu also be ordered to have no contact with his 17-year-old son, who is a co-defendant in the assault case.

“This is the second incident where father and son have ganged up on a victim and caused a vicious attack with injuries,” Werk said.

Deputy Public Defender Danielle Sears said Kaahu and his son don’t live together, but it would be difficult for them to have no contact.

Werk said that the prosecution would seek to have Kaahu’s bail revoked “if the pattern continues and he is again with his son and assaulting another individual.”

Second Circuit Judge Peter Cahill said he wouldn’t impose that condition as part of Kaahu’s bail, but the prosecution could take action if warranted.

A Dec. 27 pretrial conference was set for Kaahu.

In another case, Kaahu is awaiting trial on a charge of second-degree assault. He posted $5,000 bail to be released in that case.

COMMENTS