Crews put out dryer fire

The Maui News

Seven people safely evacuated the Mental Health Kokua facility in Wailuku on Saturday morning after a fire broke out in a washroom, a fire official said.

The fire, which originated in the dryer portion of a stand-up washer/dryer appliance on the first floor of the Market Street building, was reported at 11:20 a.m., said Capt. Paul Haake. A Wailuku fire crew arrived on the scene at 11:27 a.m. and extinguished the fire.

The dryer was in use when the blaze started. The fire was contained to the washroom, Haake said, and caused an estimated $12,000 in damage.

A residential assistant and six tenants were in the building when the fire started, Haake said. They were not injured.

The facility was able to continue operations and the occupants were able to return after the electrical system was confirmed to be in proper working condition, Haake said. Some electrical wiring was damaged by the fire, which was classified as accidental.

Crews from Kahului and Kihei also responded to the fire.

COMMENTS