Crews respond to seven brush, bin fires
Fire crews responded to two brush fires and five rubbish bin fires Sunday and Monday, two of which have been confirmed as fireworks related, Fire Services Chief Edward Taomoto said.
The two brush fires were both smaller than a 40-foot area. One brush fire occurred on Polani Street and was nine square feet; the other was a 40-foot-diameter fire behind some homes on Makalii Street near the Maui Lani Golf Course. Only the Polani Street fire could be confirmed as fireworks related, as children were seen playing and running away after the fire started, Taomoto said.
Crews also responded to five rubbish bin fires in Kihei, Lahaina, Kaanapali, Napili and Pukalani. The Napili incident was confirmed as fireworks related, Taomoto said. A trash can next to a home on Wena Place in Napili caught fire and burned two other trash cans and the side of the home. The homeowner said that the fireworks were believed to be extinguished and were discarded in the trash can. The fire caused about $2,000 in damage to the home’s siding and three trash cans.
Taomoto said that the brush and rubbish bin fires all occurred between 8 a.m. Sunday and 5 p.m. Monday.
No fireworks-related injuries or medical health complaints were reported across Maui County during the same time period, Taomoto said.