Local Religion / In Brief
‘Walk for Christ’ planned for Sunday
The St. Anthony Youth Ministry invites the public to its “Walk for Christ” event at 10:15 a.m. Sunday in front of the church. The walk will be from St. Anthony to St. Ann’s Church in Waihee. Walkers are advised to wear comfortable attire.
For more information, contact Chiree Souza, youth minister, at 269-8178 or Serina Souza at 359-4693.
St. Joseph Church ready for Holy Week
St. Joseph Church in Makawao announces the following Holy Week schedule:
* 5 p.m. Saturday, Mass.
* Palm Sunday of the Passion of the Lord — Sunday, 7 a.m., 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
* Holy Thursday of the Lord’s Supper — Thursday, 7 a.m. prayer service; 7 p.m. Mass of the Lord Supper; 8-11 p.m. Transfer of the Blessed Sacrament Adoration.
* Good Friday, Passion of the Lord — April 14, 7 a.m. morning prayer service; 7:30 a.m. Stations of the Cross; 3 p.m. Liturgy of the Word, Adoration of the Holy Cross and Holy Communion.
* Holy Saturday — April 15, 7 a.m. prayer service; 7 p.m. Easter vigil.
* Easter Sunday — April 16, 7 a.m., 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. Mass. No 5 p.m. Mass.
Hanamatsuri set in West Maui
The West Maui Buddhist community will celebrate Buddha Day, or Hanamatsuri, in honor of the birth of the historical Buddha, Shaykamuni, beginning at 9:30 a.m. Sunday at Lahaina Shingon Mission, 682 Luakini St.
This annual service is sponsored by the West Maui Buddhist Council, comprising the Lahaina Honwanji Mission, Lahaina Jodo Mission and Lahaina Shingon Mission.
The celebration will begin with a service that includes a procession of candles, flowers, and offering of incense, sweet tea pouring rite, Sutra chanting and a birthday cake ceremony. The Rev. Gensho Hara of the Lahaina Jodo Mission will give the dharma talk.
All are welcome to join this celebration. For more information, call Lahaina Shingon Mission at 661-0466.
Special services set at Kihei church
Trinity By-the-Sea Episcopal Church will observe Holy Week and Easter with a special Palm Sunday service at 9 a.m. at the church located at 100 Kulanihakoi St. in Kihei.
Holy Week services include:
* Maundy Thursday Potluck Dinner at 5:30 p.m. followed by a foot-washing and Eucharist Service at 6:30 p.m.
* Good Friday Stations of the Cross and Liturgy at noon April 14.
* Holy Saturday Great Vigil of Easter at 7 p.m. April 15.
* Easter Eucharist at 9 a.m. April 16 followed by annual Children’s Easter Egg Hunt.
For more information, visit trinitybts.org.
W. Maui churches announce schedules
Maria Lanakila Church in Lahaina and Sacred Hearts Mission Church in Kapalua have announced their Holy Week schedules.
Maria Lanakila Church:
* Holy Thursday — Thursday, 7 p.m. Mass of the Lord’s Supper followed by Solemn Adoration, closing with Night Prayer at 10 p.m.
* Good Friday — April 14, 9 a.m. Morning Prayer; 3 and 7 p.m. Good Friday Liturgy.
* Holy Saturday — April 15, 9 a.m. Morning Prayer with Swieconka, a Blessing of Easter Food Baskets. There will be no 5:30 p.m. Mass. There will be an 8 p.m. Great Vigil of Easter Mass.
* Easter Sunday — April 16 Mass at 7, 9, 11 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. There will be a 7 p.m. Mass in Spanish.
There will be no morning Mass Thursday through April 15.
Sacred Hearts Mission Church:
* Holy Thursday — Thursday, 6 p.m. Mass in Spanish.
* Good Friday — April 14, 3 p.m. Good Friday Liturgy in English and at 6 p.m. in Spanish.
* Holy Saturday — April 15, 6 p.m. Great Vigil of Easter Mass in Spanish.
* Easter Sunday — April 16 Masses at 7 and 9 a.m.
Good Shepherd to celebrate Holy Week
Holy Week services begin at Good Shepherd Episcopal Church at 5 p.m. Saturday and at 7 and 9 a.m. Palm Sunday with the Liturgy and Blessing of the Palms.
The 9 a.m. service will begin in the church office courtyard, followed by a processional into the church. The story of Christ’s passion will be read in dramatic form by members of the congregation.
Maundy Thursday will be observed with a 7 p.m. service with music by the choir. The Stations of the Cross will be observed on Good Friday, April 14, at 6 p.m. A 7 p.m. service will include the Veneration of the Cross and the Solemn Liturgy.
The Great Vigil of Easter will begin at 8 p.m. April 15. Attendees are asked to bring bells to ring during the service hymns.
On Easter Sunday, April 16, there will be a Hawaiian Easter sunrise service from 6 to 6:45 a.m. with chant and welcoming of the sun as well as a 7 a.m. service. At 9 a.m., the congregation will celebrate Holy Baptism and music will be led by Ferdinand Cajigal. The choir and the Good Shepherd Hand Bell Choir will perform. Attendees are again asked to bring bells for this service to ring during the service hymns.
All children attending either service are invited to join in the Easter Egg Hunt on the church grounds at the conclusion of the 9 a.m. service. Everyone is also invited to enjoy a potluck Easter brunch in the Parish Hall after this service.
Good Shepherd Church is located on the corner of Church and Main streets in Wailuku. For more information, call the church office at 244-4656.
Holy Week plans set at St. Theresa
St. Theresa Catholic Church in Kihei has announced its Holy Week schedule:
* Saturday — 5:30 p.m. Mass; 7 p.m. Misa en Espanol. No 4:30 p.m. Reconciliation.
* Palm Sunday — Sunday, 7 a.m., 9:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Mass.
* Holy Thursday — Thursday, 7 p.m. service followed by Solemn Adoration. 10 p.m. Night Prayer to close Adoration. No 7 a.m. Mass.
* Good Friday — April 14, noon and 7 p.m. services. No 7 a.m. Mass.
* Holy Saturday — April 15, 7:30 p.m. Easter Vigil. Reception to follow in Parish Hall. No 4:30 p.m. Reconciliation. No 5:30 p.m. Mass.
* Easter Sunday — April 16, 7 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. Mass (church and courtyard). No 5:30 p.m. Mass.
Special services set at Iao church
Iao United Church of Christ in Wailuku will hold special services as follows:
* Palm Sunday — Sunday, 9:30 a.m. service.
* Maundy Thursday — Thursday, 6:30 p.m. service.
* Good Friday — April 14, noon service.
* Easter Sunrise Service — April 16, 6:30 a.m. joint service with Ka’ahumanu and Wailuku Union churches at Ka’ahumanu Church grounds in Wailuku.
* Easter Sunday Youth Breakfast — April 16, 8 a.m.
* Easter Sunday — April 16, 9:30 a.m. service.
All events, other than the joint Easter Sunrise Service, will take place at Iao United Church of Christ, 2371 W. Vineyard St. in Wailuku. For more information, contact 244-7353 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Holy Week set at St. John’s Church
St. John’s Episcopal Church in Kula has announced its Holy Week services:
* Maundy Thursday — Thursday, 6 p.m., with foot-washing. All-night vigil follows.
* Good Friday — April 14, noon-2 p.m., sermons on the last words of Christ. There will also be a Good Friday egg coloring, crafts and keiki lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Donations of hard-boiled eggs are welcome.
* Easter Sunday — April 16, vigil at 6:30 a.m.; Easter breakfast (between services, approximately 8 a.m.); Easter Day worship service at 9:30 a.m. Children will bring a loose flowers for the cross; Easter Egg Hunt follows the 9:30 service.
Children may bring an empty basket for eggs (children must attend Sunday School first).
Palm Sunday to be celebrated
Makawao Union Church will mark the start of Holy Week with a special Palm Sunday service at 10:30 a.m. Sunday.
The congregation will celebrate Jesus’ arrival in Jerusalem with palms, a procession by the children, and by singing of hymns, accompanied by a newly refurbished pipe organ, the largest on Maui. All are welcome to attend.
From 3 to 5 p.m., children will gather for egg dying, crafts and games in the Community Hall. All children are invited.
Makawao Union Church is located at 1445 Baldwin Ave., 2.5 miles mauka of Hana Highway. For more information, call 579-9261.
Holy Week set at Keawala’i church
The tradition of members and friends wearing their finest lauhala papale, or hats woven out of pandanus leaves, will continue at Keawala’i Congregational Church in Makena at 7:30 and 10 a.m. Palm/Passion Sunday.
The Holy Week schedule includes the following:
* Maundy Thursday — Thursday, 7 p.m. under the outdoor pavilion. Na Leo Nahenahe, the adult choir, will sing. John Rowehl, director of the music, will direct the choir. Ellen Caringer will be the accompanist on keyboard.
* Easter Sunrise — April 16, 7:30 a.m. on the grounds of the church. The outdoor service will include the sharing of The Lord’s Supper and the Easter floral cross. The adult choir and special guests will be a part of the worship. Members and friends are invited to bring single-stem flowers or lei for the cross. These will be placed on the cross during the sharing of The Lord’s Supper.
* Local Religion in Brief is published every Friday and welcomes news releases and announcements from churches and religious organizations in Maui County that wish to publicize guest speakers, special events and programs, and news items. The deadline for submitting releases is 10 a.m. Tuesday in order to be considered for publication the following Friday. To submit material, contact 249-6846 or email@example.com. “Church Listings” advertisements also are published Fridays. For information, including cost or to update an existing listing, contact The Maui News advertising department at 242-6316 or firstname.lastname@example.org.