Local Religion / In Brief
Chanukah party planned in Kihei
The Jewish Congregation of Maui, located at 634 Alulike St. in Kihei, will host its annual Community Chanukah Party at Beit Shalom Synagogue from 5 to 8 p.m. Sunday. The evening will feature a candle-lighting ceremony, communal singing, latkes and dessert. There will be gift bags for the children.
Musical entertainment will be provided by Barbara Singer and Ernesto Peraza, also known as “Neto & Barbara.” The Judaica Store will be open for holiday gift shopping. Everyone is invited to attend.
For more information, contact 874-5397 or email@example.com.
Candlelight service set at Keawala’i
“Love Came Down at Christmas” is the theme for this year’s Christmas Eve Candlelight Service at Keawala’i Congregational Church in Makena. The service will begin at 6:30 p.m. Dec. 24 on the grounds of the church. The regular Sunday services at 7:30 and 10 a.m. will not be held on that day.
Members of Na Leo Nahenahe, the adult choir, will be singing the anthem “Love Came Down at Christmas.” George Kahumoku Jr. will be a featured musical guest.
Attendees are invited to bring a single-stem flower or lei for two outdoor floral Christmas trees. Seating will be provided for 800.
Parking will be available in the church overflow parking lot and along the lower beach road and along Honoiki Street. Parking monitors will direct cars into the overflow parking lot.
Christmas Eve services planned
Makawao Union Church will offer a 6 p.m. service for families and an 11 p.m. service of lessons and carols Dec. 24.
Those who come early for the family service at 5:30 p.m. will be treated to Christmas carols performed by a jazz trio. A special story for children will be presented, as will a message for the whole family. It will be dark enough for all to sing “Silent Night” by candlelight.
The traditional 11 p.m. service will feature more readings and anthems and a solo performance by Lisa Paulson singing “O Holy Night.” “Silent Night,” sung by the light of candles, will also be included.
All are welcome to celebrate Christmas at either service. Makawao Union Church is located at 1445 Baldwin Ave.
‘Lessons and Carols’ Wednesday
“Lessons and Carols” will return to Good Shepherd Episcopal Church in Wailuku at 7 p.m. Wednesday under the leadership of Robert Wills of the Maui Chamber Orchestra. The tradition features nine readings from the Bible associated with Christmas and a number of choral anthems as well as congregational singing.
Maui choristers will perform Christmas music as well as traditional carols sung together with the choir.
The readers range from ages 8 to 80 and are parishioners at Good Shepherd. The admittance is by calabash with a recommended donation of $10 to $20 per person.
The church is located at 2140 Main St.
Mass set at Kaupo church
Continuing its Mass schedule on the fifth Sunday of the month, St. Joseph Mission Church in Kaupo will have a Mass at noon Dec. 31, followed by a potluck.
The church is located between Mile Markers 33 and 34 on Piilani Highway.
Mass schedule set at St. Anthony
St. Anthony Church in Wailuku will celebrate a Mass at 6 p.m. Dec. 24 with a Christmas Vigil (children’s Mass). At 11:30 p.m., there will be singing of Christmas carols followed by a Mass at midnight.
Christmas Day Masses will be at 7 and 9 a.m. There will be no evening Mass on Christmas Day.
A Mass will be celebrated at 9 a.m. Jan. 1.
Holiday schedule set at St. Joseph
St. Joseph Church in Makawao has announced a revised holiday schedule:
• 5 and 7 p.m. Dec. 24 — Children and youth Christmas (Holy Day of Obligation) Vigil Mass in the church.
• 10 p.m. Dec. 24 — Christmas (Holy Day of Obligation) Vigil Mass.
• 7, 9 and 11 a.m. Dec. 25 — Christmas Day Mass.
• 7 and 9 a.m. Jan. 1 — New Year’s Day Mass.
The church is located at 1294 Makawao Ave.
* Local Religion in Brief is published every Friday and welcomes news releases and announcements from churches and religious organizations in Maui County that wish to publicize guest speakers, special events and programs, and news items. The deadline for submitting releases is 10 a.m. Tuesday in order to be considered for publication the following Friday. To submit material, call 249-6846 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org. “Church Listings” advertisements also are published on Fridays. For information, including cost or to update an existing listing, contact The Maui News advertising department at 242-6316 or email@example.com.