Holy Week on Maui
Local Religion/In Brief
St. Joseph Catholic, Makawao
• 7 a.m., 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Sunday — Palm Sunday Mass (Blessing of the Palms).
• 7 a.m. Monday — Holy Monday Mass followed by morning prayer at 7:30 a.m.
• 7 a.m. Tuesday — Holy Tuesday Mass followed by morning prayer at 7:30 a.m.
• 7 a.m. Wednesday — Holy Wednesday Mass followed by morning prayer at 7:30 a.m.
• 6 p.m. Thursday — Holy Thursday, Mass of the Last Supper; Adoration to the Blessed Sacrament.
• 3 p.m. March 30 — Good Friday Liturgy.
• 7 p.m. March 31 — Easter Vigil.
• 7, 9 and 11 a.m., April 1 — Easter Sunday Mass.
Maria Lanakila Catholic, Lahaina
• 9 a.m. Thursday — Morning Prayer; 7 p.m. Mass of the Lord’s Supper followed by Solemn Adoration, closing with Night Prayer at 10 p.m.
• 9 a.m. March 30 — Good Friday morning prayer; 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. — Good Friday liturgy.
• 9 a.m. March 31 — Holy Saturday morning prayer with Swieconka, a blessing of Easter Food Baskets. No 5:30 p.m. Mass. 8 p.m. Great Vigil of Easter Mass.
• 7, 9 and 11 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., April 1 — Easter Sunday Masses.
No 7 a.m. Mass Thursday through March 31.
Hearts Mission Catholic, Lahaina
• 6 p.m. Thursday — Holy Thursday Mass in Spanish.
• 3 p.m. March 30 — Good Friday Liturgy in English; 6 p.m. in Spanish.
• 6 p.m. March 31 — Holy Saturday Great Vigil of Easter Mass in Spanish.
• 7 and 9 a.m. April 1 — Easter Sunday masses.
For more information, call 661-0552.
Emmanuel Lutheran, Kahului
• 6 p.m. Thursday — Holy Thursday service.
• 6 p.m. March 30 — Good Friday service.
• 6:30 a.m. April 1 — Easter Sunrise service, followed by Easter celebration at 10 a.m.
• 5 p.m. April 1, 655 Wainee St., Lahaina — Easter service.
The Kahului church is located at 520 West One St. See elc-maui.org.
Harvest Kumulani, Kapalua
• 5 p.m. March 30 — Good Friday Service in Hale Hokulani (The Barn) on Office Road.
• 6, 8 and 10 a.m. April 1 — Easter service in Hale Hokulani.
Kumulani Chapel’s founding pastor, Ricky Ryan, will be speaking at all three Easter morning services. All are welcome to attend. Sunday School is provided at the 10 a.m. service for children 9 months old through 5th grade.
Trinity by the Sea Episcopal, Kihei
• 9 a.m. Sunday — Procession of Palms through the garden path around the church, followed by the reading of the Passion and Holy Eucharist in the outdoor sanctuary.
• 5:30 p.m., Thursday — Potluck supper followed by Maundy Thursday foot washing, Eucharist and traditional stripping of the altar in Kilolani Hall.
• Noon, March 30 — Stations of the Cross will be walked along the Trinity Trail and will be followed by the Good Friday liturgy in Kilolani Hall.
The church is located at 100 Kulanihakoi St. on the site of the church built by David Malo in the 1850s.
For more information, visit www.trinitybts.org or call 879-0161.
Unity Church of Maui, Wailuku
• 6 p.m. Maundy Thursday Healing Service featuring the Revs. Gary Canier and Blaine Tinsley, Unity prayer chaplains and healing practitioners.
The church will offer the Jewish Passover seder, foot washing, and ritual stations including communion, burning bowl, ti leaf blessing and candle lighting.
Nontouch healing treatments with Reiki and Master Sha practitioners, and one-on-one prayer support will be provided by Unity chaplains.
483 S. High St. For more information: 242-9327 or www.unityonmaui.org.
St. John’s Episcopal, Kula
• Noon March 30 — Good Friday Service — “Meditations on the Seven Last Words.”
• 6:30 a.m. April 1 — Easter Sunday Sunrise Service with breakfast at 8 a.m. Easter Eucharist at 9:30 a.m. in addition to Sunday school for the keiki.
An egg hunt will follow the 9:30 service for keiki up to age 12 who attend Sunday school. Children should bring a flower and an empty Easter basket.
8992 Kula Highway. Visit stjohnsmaui.org for more information.
St. Theresa Catholic, Kihei
• 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Palm Sunday Passion of the Lord, Mass; 7 p.m. Spanish Mass. Reconciliation 4:30 p.m.
• 7 and 9:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Sunday.
• 7 p.m. Thursday, service followed by solemn adoration and 10:15 p.m. night prayer. (No 7 a.m. Mass. )
• Noon and 7 p.m. services March 30, Good Friday. (No 7 a.m. Mass.)
• 7:30 p.m. March 31, Great Easter Vigil, with a reception to follow in the parish hall after Mass. (No 4:30 p.m. reconciliation or 5:30 p.m. Mass.)
• 7 and 9:30 a.m. April 1, Easter Sunday Masses (in church and courtyard. No 5:30 p.m. Mass.
The parish office will be closed April 2 and 3.
25 W. Lipoa St.; 879-4844.
The Jewish Congregation of Maui will be holding Passover and Shabbat services and its annual community seder.
• 10 a.m., March 30 — Chametz burning at synagogue, followed by 6:30 p.m. service and 7 p.m. community seder (outdoors).
• 9:30 a.m., March 31 — Pesach 1st Day Passover and Shabbat. Service includes Tal/Prayer for Dew. 7 p.m. second eve service–1st day of Omer followed by a traditional seder at 7:30 p.m. inside the synagogue. Space limited.
• 9:30 a.m., April 1 — Pesach second day service.
• 6:23 p.m., April 5 — Candle lighting followed by 6:30 p.m. seventh night service.
• 9:30 a.m., April 6 — Seventh Day Service, including Yom Leyabasha, followed by 6:30 p.m. eighth night service and Shabbat (candle lighting 6:24 p.m.).
• 9:30 a.m., April 7 — eighth day service, including Shir Hashirim/Song of Songs and Yizkor / memorial service.
People wishing to attend the March 30 seder are urged to make reservations by Monday. The seder will include a recounting of the Jewish exodus from Egypt and a four-course dinner with traditional foods, stories and songs. It will be led by Rabbi David Glickman.
For menu, pricing and reservations, call 874-5397 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
634 Alulike St. in Kihei, at the corner of Kaonolulu and Alulike streets.
* Local Religion in Brief is published every Friday and welcomes announcements from churches and religious organizations in Maui County. The deadline for submitting releases is 10 a.m. Tuesday in order to be considered for publication the following Friday. To submit material, call 249-6846 or send email to email@example.com. “Church Listings” advertisements also are published on Fridays. For information, including cost or to update an existing listing, contact The Maui News advertising department at 242-6316 or firstname.lastname@example.org.