Ask The Mayor

Mayor Alan Arakawa answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff.

Q: Many people use Lunalilo/Liholiho streets to cut through down to Kahului Beach Road, and over time the heavy traffic has caused substantial wear and tear. Every big rain we get, new potholes appear, which the county fills diligently, but it leaves a patchwork of patches. When is this busy road going to get overhauled properly?

A: The county Department of Water Supply is working on a waterline project through that area, so the resurfacing of Lunalilo Street (from Kaahumanu Avenue to Liholiho Street) and Liholiho Street (from Lunalilo to Lihi streets) is being included with the project. Construction is estimated to start in 2019.

Q: After all the rain we got recently, the bushes are all overgrown near the intersection by my house. This makes it hard to see if cars are coming from the other direction. Who do I call about this?

A: For sight distance problems such as the one at this intersection, call the county’s Public Works Department, Engineering Division at 270-7745.

Q: I just saw on the news a few days ago that the Honolulu City Council passed Bill 70 making it illegal to smoke inside a vehicle with a minor (under the age of 18) present. Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell has 10 business days to sign this. However, my question is, will the bill be extended to all of Hawaii or is this just for Honolulu as it doesn’t specify? And if it is just for Honolulu, will something like this be considered and passed for the island of Maui? Thank you.

A: Similar legislation has not yet been considered in Maui County. The Honolulu legislation would not affect us here in Maui County. However, if the state Legislature passes an amendment to state law then it would also be effective here. A few bills addressing this issue were raised during the last session, but they died in committee. You may want to speak to your respective state representative, state senator or Maui County Council member about your support for this legislation.

* Want to Ask the Mayor? Submit your Maui County related questions to Mayor Alan Arakawa by email at, by phone at 270-7855 or by mail at 200 S. High St., ninth floor, Wailuku 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column; to request a personal response to a concern, email