Ask The Mayor

Mayor Alan Arakawa answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff.

Q: The road near Rice Park in Kula is very bumpy. Any chance it will be repaved anytime in the near future?

A: Our Public Works Department says the project to resurface Lower Kula Road was bid out recently, with construction anticipated to begin in spring 2018. The resurfacing will run from the intersection of Naalae Road past the park to Kula Highway.

Q: How does a member of the community register a complaint with the county for trash pileups on private property?

A: Here are three ways to report this type of problem that has been observed: 1. File a request for service using the mobile app COM CONNECT; 2. File a request for service at; or 3. Call the Department of Public Works at 270-7845. All three methods are effective and are responded to in a timely manner.

Q: I’m interested in applying for Section 8 housing assistance; where do I call?

A: Our Maui County Department of Housing and Human Concerns’ Housing Division is a good starting point, but currently I’m told that the waitlist of potential applicants is full and additional applications are not being accepted at this time. Notification will be advertised in The Maui News when the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program will be accepting new applications to the waitlist. Please be sure to check for this posting. For more information, please call the county’s Section 8 office at 270-7351. The office is located at 35 Lunalilo St., Suite 102, in Wailuku next to the self-storage facility. For general information, visit and click on “Housing Choice Voucher Section 8 Program” on the left.

* Want to Ask the Mayor? Submit your Maui County related questions to Mayor Alan Arakawa by email at, by phone at 270-7855 or by mail at 200 S. High St., ninth floor, Wailuku 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column; to request a personal response to a concern, email