Recently, a Hawaii trade magazine ran an article about the "Young Chefs to Watch" in the state. "Our own Ryan Luckey was one of the talented chefs on that short list!" says Chris Kaiwi, managing partner of Pineapple Grill in Kapalua.
"We are very proud of all of the chefs that were mentioned, and wanted to find a way to showcase each of their talents. We felt the best way to highlight the food from these chefs would be to pair it with some 'young guns' of the California wine world, and so we are very excited to be able to offer a menu featuring four of these top young chefs as well as two incredible wineries from California."
The feast will start at 6 p.m., Thursday, June 11 with a champagne reception and it will be followed by a four-course dinner, then cheese plate, chocolate desserts and coffee or tea.
The Maui News / CARLA TRACY photo
Morning Sous Chef Pavy Keomaniboth (left) and Executive Chef Ryan Luckey present a number of their new lunch menu items from Huevos Rancheros made with Kapalua Farm fresh eggs to half-pound Kobe beef burger with creamy bleu cheese and truffle fries. Chef Luckey was recently named one of the top “Young Chefs to Watch” in the state.
Besides Luckey, participating chefs will include Ben Klein of Mala Ocean Tavern in Lahaina, Ryan Urig of the Banyan Tree at The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua and also Rich Hinojosa of Tropica at Westin Maui Resort & Spa in Kaanapali.
"Each of the chefs will present a course that will be paired with wines from Morlet Family Vineyards and Peay Vineyards," says Kaiwi. Highlights are confit of duck and Makawao mushroom ravioli with foie gras; Hawaiian ahi and kampachi coconut ceviche; five-spiced day boat scallops; and grilled Australian lamb loin.
Pineapple Grill will also host the Justin Vineyards dinner June 13 with the winery's master sommelier, Joe Spellman, on hand and five courses by Chef Luckey.
* Where: Located in the Bay Golf Course clubhouse at 200 Kapalua Drive, Kapalua.
* Hours: Open daily for lunch from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.; light fare and bar menu from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.; and then dinner from 5:30 to 10 p.m.
* King Crab Extravaganza: On Tuesday nights only, you get a three-course meal for $39.95, including soup or salad, one-pound of Alaskan king crab with lemon butter, Roselani ice cream or island sorbet, and Kaanapali private blend coffee or tea.
* Top Young Chefs wine dinner:?Bring your appetites to enjoy four courses by four top young Hawaii chefs paired with wines from Peay and Morlet Family vineyards. It starts at 6 p.m. June 11. Cost is $140 per person, including tax and tip.
* Justin wine dinner: Savor five courses paired by the wines of Justin Vineyards, starting at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, June 13. Justin's Master Sommelier Joe Spellman will be on hand to chat up guests. Cost is $125, including tax and tip.
* Wine Wednesdays: With just a few exceptions, most bottles from the extensive collection are 50 percent off, runs all day during lunch and dinner.
* Kamaaina lunches: Residents with valid Hawaii ID get a 15 percent discount on food daily.
* Lunch highlights: Teriyaki-seared Atlantic salmon over chilled soba noodles, kalua pork quesadilla with fresh fire-roasted salsa, shichimi-spiced mahimahi fish tacos and Maui Cattle Co. loco moco.
* Dinner entrees: Thai-grilled pork Porterhouse, seafood paella, and lemon and porcini dusted monchong.
* For reservations: Call Pineapple Grill at 669-9600.
Kamaaina are also flocking to the popular restaurant for lunch daily to get 15 percent off their food bill.
"We've kicked up loco moco with veal demi glace and Hamakua mushrooms, and we use quality Maui Cattle Co. burgers and fresh Kapalua Farms eggs. We do Huevos Rancheros with spicy chorizo sausage and fire-roasted salsa."
"There's a lot of local favorites and we just take it to the next level. Chef Ryan likes to really put his stamp on it. And our a.m. sous chef is related to the people at Saeng's Thai Cuisine, so he's offered a lot to our summer changes."
Of course, the King Crab Extravaganza on Thursdays has "been a big hit right out of the bat," says Kaiwi.
"Wine Wednesdays, you got 50 percent off bottles of wine. Sheehan McCoy, our wine buyer and assistant general manager, goes to all of the important tastings and he's really improved our list. And, our partner, David Cohen, really encourages us to do more and be more creative."