Love art? Love France? Experience the best of both during a two-week painting class with Julie Houck in the Langeudoc region of southwestern France from June 26 to July 10, 2010.
Daily painting excursions will take participants to unspoiled villages and market towns, vineyards, rolling farmland an a special two-day excursion to the Mediterranean town of Collioure. There, artists will follow in the footsteps of the Fauves and paint where Monet, Derain and Delaney also found their muse.
Enrollment is limited. For details, call 873-0597 or visit www.juliehouck.com.
Sue Thomas’ “Sunset Bliss”
“Hi‘iakaikapoliopele: Visual Stories by Contemporary Native Hawaiian Artists”
This month's Lahaina Arts Society featured artist, Sue Thomas, will be welcomed with a reception from 6 to 8 p.m. Saturday at the Old Lahaina Courthouse.
Utilizing bright colors, Thomas' oil paintings are a visual response to the sunlight she sees. With a theme of "Island Bliss," the artist has produced a number of sunset paintings at locations throughout the island. In addition, she has a diverse offering of landscapes
and still-life paintings. Thomas' paintings will be available for viewing and purchase through Nov. 1 in the Old Lahaina Courthouse. The gallery is next to the Historic Banyan Tree off Front Street.
* The Maui Arts & Cultural Center's Schaefer International Gallery will host the Native Hawaiian art exhibit "Hi'iakaikapoliopele: Visual Stories by Contemporary Native Hawaiian Artists" through Oct. 24. For details, visit www.mauiarts.org.
* Hui No'eau Visual Arts Center's "Primarily Red" exhibit will run through Nov. 14. The center is at 2841 Baldwin Ave. in Makawao. For details, call or visit www.huinoeau.com.
* Lahaina Arts Society is featuring artist Sue Thomas in its Old Lahaina Courthouse gallery through Nov. 1. For details, see listing above.
* Viewpoints Gallery will feature "Water's Edge: Connie Adams" through Oct. 20. The gallery is at 3620 Baldwin Ave. in Makawao. For details, visit www.viewpointsgallerymaui.com.
* Maui Crafts Guild will feature Coleen d'Avignon's bead work through Oct. 22. For details, see listing at top.