Art Maui, the premier juried art exhibition of Maui County, celebrates its 32nd anniversary this year. Art Maui is a nonprofit volunteer organization that promotes, encourages and recognizes excellence in the visual and tactile arts in the County of Maui.
This year's juror is Kenneth Bushnell, who is now professor of art emeritus at the University of Hawaii after a 39-year teaching career, interrupted by two years as a visiting exchange professor at C.W. Post Center, Long Island University and a one-term visiting position at Thames Valley University, London, England. He currently divides his time between studios in New York City, the south of France and Honolulu.
With Art Maui 2010 just around the corner, it's time to start marking those calendars. Here are some key dates:
Drop by the Maui Arts & Cultural Center’s Schaefer International Gallery to meet some of the exhibiting artists from “The Essence of Maui,” who will discuss their approach to developing an idea from beginning to end and the steps they take along the way. This interactive “Meet the Artists” reception includes pupu and a no-host bar.
For the exhibit, a select group of Maui-based artists were asked to create a unique work based on their personal interpretation of what the spiritual, cultural or social “essence” of Maui is to them. Offering an insider’s look at the real faces of Maui, the 36 artists have interpreted their vision and concept in a variety of media, including oil painting, photography, ceramics, video and mixed media. The exhibit runs through Feb. 20.
* Online pre-registration will be available to artists now through Feb. 22. Artists can also register on "Receiving Day," Feb. 25 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* On Feb. 27, artists must visit www.ArtMaui.com/selected09.html to find out if their piece(s) were selected.
* Pick-up of non-selected works is scheduled for Feb. 28 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Juror Walk-Through at the Schaefer International Gallery with Ken Bushnell is set for March 13 from 2 to 4 p.m.
* Exhibit will run from March 7 to April 2 at the Maui Arts & Cultural Center's Schaefer International Gallery
For details, www.artmaui.com.