* Personal: Age 18; daughter of Shasta Rosa of Haiku and Ron Lowery of Kihei; enjoys music (piano, vocal, chorus), dance (modern, ballet) and writing.
* At School: Dance, student government, Writers Club, Interact Club, chorus, theater.
* Off Campus: Big Brothers Big Sisters of Maui, Hawaii All-State Honor Choir, Maui Film Festival volunteer, music composition.
* Beyond High School: Plans to go to a liberal arts college on the East Coast and study writing, music and environmental science. After college, would like to pursue a career that involves these passions, possibly writing for a magazine focusing on environmental problems and playing music.
* What do you think is the biggest problem facing youth today?
"One of the biggest problems facing youths today is what to do after college. With many qualified adults already on the hunt for jobs, how is a 20-year-old fresh out of college supposed to compete? What youths need to do is think strategically without giving up what they love. We need to focus on what employers will be looking for in four years, what kinds of careers will be in demand, and how we can use our talents and passions to make the world a better place."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.