* Personal: Age 17; daughter of Brian Smith and Gaie Feuerstein of Hana; enjoys tennis, basketball, theater, singing, drawing, dancing, swimming.
* At School: Tennis (two-time state qualifier), basketball, cross country (two-time state qualifier), National Honor Society president, wood shop (won division award for traditional canoe paddle), Technology Education Fair, Maui Invasive Species Committee volunteer.
* Off Campus: Church youth choir, church praise and worship band, Halau Hula O Aluanu.
* Beyond High School: Plans to attend a Christian college in California and study business and exercise science.
* Who is your personal hero and why?
"My oldest sister, Kirsten. She grew up in a broken home, her dad left, and she struggled with feelings of rejection, marrying at 16 and divorcing soon after. Although her circumstances were hard, she showed me you can make the best of your life in spite of the past. She loves people and is determined to succeed. She put herself through college, graduating from Tulane University, and today she is a licensed real estate agent and is happily married with a family. Thinking of her, I realize I can do anything with my future."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.