* Personal: Age 18; daughter of Keola and Monique Gomes of Kahului; enjoys playing volleyball, watching Maui Interscholastic League games, spending time with fellow Lahainaluna boarders, going to the beach, lounging around Boarding Department dorms, being social, learning new things.
* At School: Boarding Department co-president, 2009 homecoming queen, library aide.
* Off Campus: Boarding Department service projects/representative.
* Beyond High School: Plans to attend the University of Hawaii Maui College and major in liberal arts for two years. After that, transfer to University of Hawaii at Manoa and earn a master's degree in social work.
* Who is your personal hero and why:
"My personal hero as well as my role model would be my mother. She has always supported me with positive advice through my doubts, and has helped me overcome many obstacles in life. I have learned a great deal of life lessons from this woman, and I appreciate her encouragement and words of wisdom that has helped me become the successful young adult that I am today. She has empowered me to strive for the best in life and to never give up. Most importantly, she has taught me to always stand up for my rights and to believe in myself. Thank you for everything, Mom. I love you!"
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.