* Personal: Age 17; son of Douglas and Candace Sugidono of Kahului; enjoys music, piano, tennis, hanging out with family and friends, video games, smiling, laughing, drawing and singing in the shower.
* At School: Maui District Student Council Organization chairman, Interact Club president, National Honor Society vice president, Aloha Club, Graduation Committee, Japanese Club, tennis, Youth Relay for Life registration chairman, Stomp Out Hunger team captain, honor roll.
* Off Campus: Wailuku Junior Tennis Club, Kahului Baptist Church Vacation Bible Study, Maui Music Conservatory, Ed's Union 76 Service worker.
Matthew Dean Sei Sugidono
* Beyond High School: Short-term goal: Attend college in California. Long-term goal: Live in California, work with the community and travel the world.
* Who is your personal hero and why? "My hero is my grandfather, Jiro Sugidono, a Japanese-American World War II veteran. Although he was sent from Watsonville, California, to an internment camp in Arizona, my grandfather was the first volunteer of his city to enlist in the U.S. Army in the 442nd Regimental Combat Team. He felt that he was just doing his duty in service to his country. His humility and patriotism teach me to love and remain loyal to my country and to serve the greater good. I hope to live my life with the same amount of courage and humility that he has demonstrated to the world."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.