* Personal: Age 16; son of Asbel Polanco and Laura Tanno of Kihei; enjoys basketball, spoken-word poetry, music and rapping.
* At School: Drama Club, Hip-Hop Club, Maui High School basketball.
* Off Campus: Kihei Lutheran Church weekly youth group; attended a church mission on Oahu.
* Beyond High School: Plans on enlisting in the U.S. Air Force for a long-term career.
* Who is your personal hero and why? "My personal hero would have to be my father, Asbel Polanco. The reason being is that he always taught me from when I was young to keep up in school, and be respectful and a gentleman. While I try to uphold that standard, I realize that I am very blessed to have a father like mine. He attends all my after-school activities, he supports me in whatever I do and he always makes sure that I will end up on the right path. My dad and I have a great relationship, one that I hope I can share with my children one day. My dad is my inspiration for all the things I do; he is my hero."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.