WAILUKU - The second annual Water Conservation Poster Contest, organized by the Department of Water Supply, drew 332 entries from students from public and private schools and who are home-schooled.
More than 30 institutions were represented in the contest, whose goal was to educate Maui County's youth on the importance of water conservation and to encourage them to take an active role in ensuring the sustainability of the water supply. The contest ranged from kindergarten to 12th grade.
The contest entries were judged based on water conservation message, originality, visual effectiveness, neatness and creativity.
Rosemary Kulhavy-Sutherland, an 8th-grader at Haleakala Waldorf School, took first place in the 7th-8th-grade division with this poster in the Department of Water Supply Water Conservation Poster Contest.
Prizes included $100 savings bonds for first, $75 for second and $50 for third.
Winning and honorable mention entries will be featured in the 2012 DWS Water Conservation Calendar and will be posted on the county's Facebook page and website at co.maui.hi.us/index.aspx?NID=1789. Winning entries are on display on the fifth floor of the Kalana O Maui building.
The judges for the contest were former Department of Water Supply Director George Tengan, retired teacher Rosemary Robbins, and Maui Nui Botanical Garden Executive Director Joylynn Paman.
The winners and their schools follow:
* Kindergarten - Keala Giblin, Carden Academy, first; Cassidy Duquette, Kilohana School, second; Kaitlin Kitagawa, Pukalani Elementary, third; Jovan Butac, Kahului Elementary; Jordan Ikaia, Pukalani Elementary, honorable mention.
* 1st-2nd grade - Makena Guzman, Kamehameha Schools Maui, first; Jaz Keiber, Montessori Makawao, second; Ansel Newman, Carden Academy; third; Ryder Tremble, Carden Academy; Cherish Puaoi-Kalilikane, Kaunakakai Elementary, honorable mention.
* 3rd-4th grade - Keawe Mann, Carden, first; La'akea Paleka, Kula Kaiapuni Kualapu'u, second; Cory Damaso, Lihikai Elementary, third; Rhea Nicole Del Rosario, Kihei Elementary; Julie Vander Ark, Carden, honorable mention.
* 5th-6th grade - Ariane Alejo, Maui Waena Intermediate, first; Emma Smith, Carden, second; Samantha Ribucan, Maui Waena, third; Taylor Vargas, Maui Waena; Roxan Christine Alforque, Wailuku Elementary, honorable mention.
* 7th-8th grade - Rosemary Kulhavy-Sutherland, Haleakala Waldorf, first; Kristina Duarte, Carden, second; Hannah Patrick, Kamehameha, third; Kainalu Taniguchi, Kamehameha; Khloe Dickson, Clearview Christian Girls School, honorable mention.
* High School - Ariel Finberg, Pacific Trinity Academy, first; Devan Takita, Baldwin High, second; Brittany Cramer, Pacific Trinity, third; Ashlee Horiuchi, Pacific Trinity; Micah Suzuki, Pacific Trinity, honorable mention.