* Personal: Age 16, daughter of Dale and Lisa Belongie of Wailuku; enjoys reading, smiling, watching scary movies and hanging out with friends.
* At School: Student Council president, schoolwide announcements vice president and secretary, Maui District Student Council Organization representative, Schoolwide Leadership Team student representative, member of the School Community Council, Graduation Committee and National Honor Society, and taking Advanced Placement English and European History.
* Off Campus: Shift lead at Ben & Jerry's Hawaii.
Maile Lei Belongie
* Beyond High School: Plans to attend college on the Mainland and to become a doctor of psychology.
* Who is your personal hero and why? "My personal heroes would definitely be my mom and dad. Despite regular family troubles and disputes, they have always fought to provide the best life possible for me. They always motivate me to accomplish my goals and give me advice when they realize I am biting off more than I can chew. They give me everything I need (and a whole lot more) and teach me essential skills for the future."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.