* Personal: Age 16, daughter of David and Amy Makaiwi of Hoolehua, Molokai; enjoys going to the beach, spending time with family and friends, paddling and playing softball and basketball.
* At School: Junior class president; member of the Leadership Experience Opportunity club and Health Occupations Students of America organization on campus.
* Off Campus: Helps at church cleanups, sales and car washes and works at Pizza Cafe.
Amanda Venegas Makaiwi
* Beyond High School: She plans to attend the University of Hawaii-Manoa or Arizona State University to pursue a degree in the medical service and to try out for the softball team.
* Who is your personal hero and why? "My personal heroes are my dad and mom, because they are the ones who raised me and taught me how to be the person I am today. My dad is my number one hero, because he dedicated many hours helping me to become a better softball player. My mom is also one of my important heroes, because while my dad was teaching me how to become a better ballplayer, she was always there to make sure my academics were up to the 'Makaiwi' standard."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.