* Personal: Age 17; daughter of Carmelito and Joan Vila of Kihei; enjoys traveling to Kauai to visit grandma, cooking with her brother, going to the movies with friends, going everywhere and anywhere with her mom on Saturdays and playing cribbage with her dad.
* At School: FIRST Robotics team captain, Vex Robotics mentor for Maui Waena Intermediate School, Marching Band saxophone section leader, Key Club president, Tech Club officer, National Honor Society member, Symphonic Band alto sax player, on the Honor Roll and is taking and has taken Advanced Placement English, statistics, calculus and physics classes.
* Off Campus: Trinity Episcopal Church sound board operator, member of the Maui Economic Development Board Women in Technology program and Hawaii All-State Marching Band 2011 Macy's Day Parade.
* Beyond High School: Plans to attend a university and to study civil engineering and to return to Maui and help mentor a FIRST Robotics team.
* What do you think is the biggest problem facing youth today? "The youth of today need to go out into the community and take advantage of the many resources our island has to offer. I work very closely with the Maui Economic Development Board, and that experience has helped me in so many ways. MEDB has introduced me to the vast world of technology here on the island; it has helped our robotics team travel around the country to compete; and it has provided me with internships and public speaking opportunites, which have helped to shape me into the well-rounded teen I am today. Without MEDB and its connection to the community, I would not be as outgoing as I am today."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.