* Personal: Age 17; daughter of Vicki and Keli Nelson of Kihei; enjoys acting, singing, dancing, reading, drawing, computers, hula, crafting, robotics, music and cooking.
* At School: Member of the Robotics team, Drama Club, Charter Dance Company, mentoring program.
* Off Campus: Member of Stampin Up (crafting group), Kihei Lutheran Church youth group, all girls choir; does hula and plays chimes; assists with ministering.
* Beyond High School: Plans to earn an associate degree and to return as a teaching assistant at Kihei Charter School as she works toward her teaching degree.
* What do you think is the biggest problem facing youth today?
"I think one of the biggest problems the youth of today are facing is self-motivation. Kids aren't involved enough in their learning and so, are not interested. Clubs and sports are great ways to get our young people involved in their communities."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.