WAILUKU - The Maui Chamber of Commerce and the county Office of Economic Development are seeking nominations for this year's Mayor's Small Business Awards.
The awards recognize and honor outstanding small businesses with 50 or fewer employees, who have had a general excise tax license for at least two years and who: show business leadership in a changing economic environment, create a quality work environment for their employees, exhibit the aloha spirit and exemplary customer service, develop partnerships with other sectors of the community and demonstrate other exceptional qualities or traits.
This year's event includes six award categories:
* Exceptional Small Business of the Year (10 or fewer employees).
* Exceptional Small Business of the Year (11 to 25 employees).
* Exceptional Small Business of the Year (26 to 50 employees).
* Outstanding Nonprofit Business (50 or fewer employees).
* Young Small Business Person of the Year (under age 40 as of March 29, 2012).
* Lifetime Achievement Award (for any individual doing business in Maui County for more than 20 years).
Nomination packets include a nomination form, a nomination criteria form, two typewritten letters of recommendation from other sources and a 5-by-7-inch photograph of the nominee. Completed forms must be received at the Maui County Business Resource Center in the Maui Mall by noon March 16.
Nomination forms are available at the business resource center, the Maui Chamber of Commerce and branches of American Savings Bank, Bank of Hawaii, Central Pacific Bank and First Hawaiian Bank. The form also is available online at www.mauicounty.gov/ mcbrc and www.mauichamber.com and on the Maui County and Maui Chamber of Commerce Facebook pages.
All finalists and winners will be honored at a March 29 awards dinner at the Waikapu Ballroom of the King Kamehameha Golf Club.
For more information about nominations or to purchase tickets for the awards event, call the business resource center at 873-8247 or the chamber at 244-0081.