* Personal: Age 18; son of Robert and Tanesha Smith of Lahaina; enjoys surfing and swimming.
* At School: Chairman of the Maui District Student Council Organization; president of Lunatechs Robotics and Science Club; co-captain for the Lahainaluna Swim Team; participant in the Maui Youth Relay For Life, Rally For America, Lahaina Clean Up.
* Off Campus: Carlson Gracie Brazilian Jiu Jitsu member.
* Beyond High School: To attend either Oregon State University or University of Washington and earn a degree in engineering; plans to eventually return to Maui
* What do you think is the biggest problem facing youth today?
"I feel the biggest problem our youths face today is their poor ability to handle bullying in their daily lives. Both parents and teachers are not educating children well enough to handle uncomfortable situations. It is important that they know what to do when situations like bullying occur, so that they can properly handle them and move on. Uncomfortable situations like bullying will transpire throughout their lives, and it grieves me to hear the story of someone's life being destroyed because they couldn't take charge of the problem."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.