To have your class, workshop or presentation included in this free listing, email its title, instructor, location, dates, start / end times, cost and brief description to email@example.com. Due to the volume of submissions, items will be listed as close as possible to their start date; if a deadline to enroll is included, the event will be listed on the Sunday before deadline. High-res digital photos, depending on quality, are used if space permits. Submissions are subject to revision and rewriting, inclusion is not guaranteed and publication does not mean programs are endorsed by The Maui News.
* Dance association registration. Registration for The Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association's first quarter will be held from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. and from 8 to 8:15 p.m. Monday at the Velma McWayne Santos Community Center in Wailuku. Membership dues for the year are $15, or $10 per course with a minimum of two courses per quarter. Lessons in beginner merengue, beginner American tango and beginner salsa will be taught. For more information, contact Bill Ruidas at 873-8605 or Jeffery dela Cruz at 244-3263.
* Ki-Aikido intro classes. A Ki-Aikido introductory course for adults and teens will be held from 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday nights starting this week at the Hannibal Tavares Community Center in Pukalani. This Japanese martial art, based on Zen principles, teaches practical self-defense with a peaceful mindset and calmness training. A $40 fee includes a training manual and will be applied toward dues for students who wish to continue after the four-week course, which is co-sponsored by the County of Maui. Call Maui Ki-Aikido, 244-5165, for more information.
* Gardening classes. Anne Gachuhi of Home Gardening Support Network will be conducting the following classes at various locations:
** "Healthy Soils: Healthy Plants" will be held from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Kihei Community Center (room next to the DMV office).
** "Healthy Soils: Healthy Plants" will be held from 2 to 4 p.m. Wednesday at the Lahaina Civic Center.
** "Garden Pest: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly!" will be held from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Lumeria Maui in Makawao.
* Art classes. The Hui No'eau Visual Arts Center, 2841 Baldwin Ave., is offering the following classes. For details or to register, call 572-6560 or visit www.huinoeau. com.
** "Beginning Jewelry with Julie Matheis" will be held 6 to 9 p.m. Thursdays, starting this week through May 10. Cost is $195 ($244 nonmember), plus $45 for supplies and lab fees.
** "Abstract Oil Painting with Tony Walholm" will be held from 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays, starting this week through March 24. Cost is $225 ($282 nonmember).
** "Introduction to Wet Felting" with Chenta Laury will be held noon to 5 p.m. Saturday and April 14. Cost is $75 ($119 nonmember), plus $25 for supplies.
* Solar and wind worskhop. Learn how to build your own solar and wind power system with a workshop from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at Hale Akua Garden Farm in Haiku. Cost is $30 and includes a solar farm tour. Participants will learn how to harness the wind, how independent power works and how much solar power you need, among other information. Bring a bag lunch. For details, call 572-9300 or register online at www.haleakuagardenfarm.com.