Foundations and entities who contributed recently to Maui County community nonprofits and others are as follows:
* A $1,000 donation was made to the Makawao Public Library in the memory of Polly Harris, a volunteer at the library. Daryl and Mary Orwig, Harris' daughter, recently presented the gift to library officials.
* A $498 grant from Rotary Hawaii District 5000 will assist Hui Malama Learning Center in planning and developing an ongoing agricultural project. The project will provide for hands-on learning experience to stress renewable energy, soil ecology and sustainable food resources.
A $1,000 donation was made to the Makawao Public Library in the name of Polly Harris. Shown in this photo are (from left) Librarians Ninfa Tolentino and Carla Mauri, Daryl and Mary Orwig, Polly Orwig’s daughter, and Sharon Woodall, treasurer of Maui Friends of the Library.
The grant was awarded to the Rotary Club of Valley Isle Sunset in support of the Hui Malama program. In late February, volunteers from the Rotary Club of Valley Isle Sunset, Kamehameha Schools Interact Club, Hui Malama Learning Center staff, their current board of directors, members of the Community Work Day Program and Goodfellow Brothers all pitched in and coordinated their efforts to start the program and break ground.
Mulch and compost were spread, a trellis was built, native plants were transplanted and planters were built to grow various vegetables.
Documentation of the program's progress is coming from a video production donation from Akaku: Maui Community Television, and soil and mulch and compost has been provided by Maui EKO Systems.
* The Bendon Family Foundation recently provided a $2,000 grant to Real Ongoing Opportunities to Soar, also known as the nonprofit ROOTS Maui school, for playground equipment, furnishings and classroom supplies.
ROOTS Maui is a kindergarten-to-8th-grade school with a curriculum consisting of traditional subjects, including math, language arts, social studies, science, art, physical education, as well as current events activities, a variety of electives, visits from expert guest speakers and community field trips.
* Grants caption. A $1,000 donation was made to the Makawao Public Library in the memory of Polly Harris, whose last name appeared incorrectly in a caption that was published Sunday on Page C8.
The Maui News apologizes for the error.
* The Maui News wants to promptly correct errors in fact or make clarifications on information appearing in the newspaper. To report an error or clarification, please call 242-6343 or send email to email@example.com.