To have your class, workshop or presentation included in this free listing, email its title, instructor, location, dates, start/end times, cost and brief description to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the volume of submissions, items will be listed as close as possible to their start date; if a deadline to enroll is included, the event will be listed on the Sunday before deadline. High-res digital photos, depending on quality, are used if space permits. Submissions are subject to revision and rewriting, inclusion is not guaranteed and publication does not mean programs are endorsed by The Maui News.
* Meditation Class. The Maui Meditation Group is offering a 6-week class to study Pema Chodron's book, "The Places That Scare You: a Guide to Fearlessness in Difficult Times". This free class starts Sunday 10 a.m. to 12 noon, in Haiku. The class include a meditation session, with instruction available. Call 214-6788 or e-mail email@example.com.
* Parenting Class. Kaiser Permanente will be offering "Positive Discipline I and II" with Sherry Fisher at the Maui Lani Clinic from 5:45 to 7:45 p.m. on Monday at no charge. You do not need to be a Kaiser member to attend. To register for the class please call Good Beginnings at 242-1608. This class is for adults only.
IRA ONO, internationally known artist
* Art Classes. The Hui No'eau Visual Arts Center, 2841 Baldwin Ave., is offering the following classes. For details or to register, call 572-6560 or visit www.huinoeau.com.
** "Jewelry Making I for Teens with Julie Matheis" will be held from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. Mondays through May 21. Cost is $115 ($144 nonmembers) plus $30 supply fee.
** "Intermediate Jewelry with Julie Matheis" will be held from 6 to 9 p.m. Mondays through May 21. Cost is $195 ($244 nonmember) plus $45 for supplies and lab fee.
** "Introduction to Adobe Photoshop: Part II with Nathalie Nunez" will be held from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Mondays through May 21. Cost is $120 ($150 nonmember) plus $10 for supplies.
** "Intermediate Silk-screen Printing Workshop with Nathalie Nunez" will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. April 21 and 22. Cost is $125 ($156 nonmember) plus $60 for supplies.
* "Writing SBIR Grant Proposals: What You Need to Know." A small business innovation research grant writing workshop, led by Dr. Paul Pernambuco-Wise, will be held from 10 a.m. to noon on Wednesday at the Malcolm Center, 1305 Holopono St., Suite 5 in Kihei. Cost is $25. Seating is limited to 30 people. More information is available at www.hightechmaui.com.
* "About Boating Safely." U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary is offering this 2-day course from 6 to 9 p.m. Friday and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, at the USCG Marine Safety Office, 95 Lono Ave. in Kahului. This introductory course includes general information about choosing and maintaining a boat, operating a boat or PWC safely, navigation rules and aids to navigation, state-specific boating laws and regulations, handling boating emergencies, and much more. The cost is $35, payable the first night. Books are provided by DLNR. Boat insurance may be discounted with completion of this course (check with your carrier). Instructors are trained by the Coast Guard Auxiliary and volunteer in order to promote safe boating. For more information, contact Marie at 264-1902. To register for the class online go to mauiboatclass.com
* Service Trip. Volunteer in Haleakala Crater Saturday through Monday and stay free at Holua Cabin. Help Haleakala National Park care for native vegetation. Call the Friends of Haleakala National Park trip leader at 876-1673, or see www.fhnp.org for information and reservations.
* "The Business of Art." By internationally known artist Ira Ono will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday. Participants are encouraged to bring sample art work for Ira to review. For more information and to register, call EdVenture at 984-3231. Space is limited.
* "Social Media Boot Camp for Beginners." A workshop geared to businesses taught by Peter Liu will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday at the Malcolm Center, 1305 Holopono St., Kihei, Suite 5. Cost is $65. Seating is limited to 30 people. More information is available at www.hightechmaui.com.
* Whale Photo Safari. Get hands-on training on capturing great whale images with whatever digital camera you own. This at-sea workshop is suitable for beginning and advanced photographers. Departs Sunday from Lahaina Harbor at 9:15 a.m. and returns at 12:15 p.m. on Pacific Whale Foundation's new raft, Ocean Freedom. Cost is $99.95 per person. Book online and save 10 percent. Pacific Whale Foundation Members save 20 percent. Visit www.pacificwhale.org or call 249-8811, ext. 1.
* "Ultimate Whalewatch." Learn firsthand what it is like to be a whale researcher on a personally guided group tour. Embark on a two-hour whalewatch with a member of the research team. Offered on Mondays, 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Whale sightings are guaranteed or you get a free ticket for one of Pacific Whale Foundation's regular Whalewatches. Book online and save 10 percent. Pacific Whale Foundation Members save 20 percent. Visit www.pacificwhale.org or call 249-8811, ext. 1.