HONOLULU - Students from Maui, Lahainaluna and Kamehameha Schools Maui high schools took first place in 15 categories at the regional Health Occupation Students of America event at the Hawaii Convention Center in February.
One University of Hawaii Maui College student placed first in one of the health categories.
These students and others from state high schools and postsecondary institutions qualified for the national HOSA conference at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Orlando, Fla., in June.
The first-place winners, their category and their high schools follow:
* Vanessa De Cambra, Medical Spelling, Maui High.
* Dwayne Manzanillo, Medical Terminology, Maui High.
* Kamalani Uehara, Nutrition, Kamehameha Maui.
* Ashley Ryan Vidad, Biotechnology, Maui High.
* Marella Galace, Medical Assisting, Lahainaluna.
* Amanda Arakawa, Sports Medicine, Lahainaluna.
* Lorrie Dumayas, Veterinary Science, Lahainaluna.
* Leeana Batangbacal, Kelsey Lorenzo and Noeau Pereza, Public Health Emergency Preparedness, Kamehameha Maui.
* Alexandra Pardico, Extemporaneous Health Poster, Maui High.
* Philip Nishioka, Extemporaneous Speaking, Kamehameha Maui;
* Wendy Pias, Extemporaneous Writing, Maui High.
* Gabrielle Berce, Medical Photography, Maui High.
* Donna Paz, Job Seeking Skills, Maui High.
* Leslie Garo, Prepared Speaking, Lahainaluna.
* Christian Fernandez, Michael Gorman, Alex Guerrero, Makai Mann, Biomedical Debate, Kamehameha Maui.
In the college division, Kristine Saguid of University of Hawaii Maui College took first place in the Extemporaneous Health Poster.
Finishing second were: Brittany Treu, Job Seeking Skills, Lahainaluna; Kalia Tamashiro, Medical Photography, Kamehameha Maui; Kirsten Gilchrist, Extemporaneous Writing, Lahainaluna; Ho'o Cabanilla, Extemporaneous Speaking, Lahainaluna; Marlene Cua and Kourtney Kaya, CPR/First Aid, Maui High; Paige Cadujoy, Pharmacology, Lahainaluna; Joen Nalundasan, Extemporaneous Health Poster, Maui High; Teisha Allison, Extemporaneous Writing, UH-Maui College; Vanessa Banaag, Prepared Speaking, Heald College (Maui High grad).
In third were: Sai Furukawa, Medical Terminology, Kamehameha Maui; Abby Okazaki, Medical Math, Kamehameha Maui; Vincent Magno and Christine Mariano, CPR/First Aid, Lahainaluna; Lavinia Sagario, Extemporaneous Speaking, Maui High; Anjanina Binas, Medical Photography, Maui High; Gaylord Garcia, Prepared Speaking, Lahainaluna High; Dan Rebb Leano, Researched Persuasive Speaking, Maui High; Adam Hernandez and Kahana Kaneyasu, Forensic Medicine, Maui High; Charmaigne Joy Oliveros, Medical Spelling, UH-Maui College.