LAHAINA - Lahainaluna High School has announced the following key events, dates, fees and policies in preparation for the upcoming school year.
* Payment of school fees, pickup of class schedules and taking of photo IDs will be July 17 and 18 at the Samuel Kamakau Library.
* Incoming freshman will be welcomed from 9 to 11 a.m. and sophomores from 1 to 3 p.m. July 17. Juniors will be welcomed from 9 to 11 a.m. and seniors from 1 to 3 p.m. July 18.
* The mandatory fee for freshmen, sophomores and juniors is $25, which includes student government and class dues, and a postage fee for quarterly mailings. The fee is $30 for seniors, which includes a $5 graduation fee. Cap, gown and graduation accessories will be paid for when orders are placed in mid-November.
* Optional fees for all grades include $25 for an MIL Athletic Pass (mandatory for all athletes and boarders); $50 for a 2013 Ka Lama yearbook; and $5 for a year's subscription to the school newspaper, Ka Leo Luna.
* Payments must be made in cash, certified bank checks or money orders. Personal checks and credit cards will not be accepted. Boarders should pay their fees through the mail as directed in their summer letters.
* Appropriate attire must be worn for school ID photos - no tank tops or sleeveless shirts for boys, and no strapless, thin-strapped, halter or tube tops or pareau for girls. Hats and sunglasses must be removed for the photo.
* Applications for bus passes will be accepted. Further instructions will be issued regarding payment for bus passes. (As of this writing, bus pass rates have not been confirmed.)
* Parent Teacher Student Association representatives will be on hand to accept annual dues. They will also share information about the Project Graduation post-commencement event for the Class of 2013.
* Deposits for Meal Time Accounts will also be accepted in the school's main office on fee-collection days. Only cash, a bank or cashier's check or money order will be accepted for meal time deposits.
Important orientation dates and information are as follows:
* A two-day freshman orientation will be held July 30 and 31. Incoming members of the Class of 2016 will report to the Boarders' Field "Kahua" stage by 8 a.m. The orientation includes workshops, class visits and campus tours. Dismissal on both days is at 2 p.m.
* New transfers (grades 10 to 12) orientation is from 10 a.m. to noon July 31 at the old cafeteria. The orientation will include classroom visits.
* The first full day of classes for all students will be Aug. 1. Students must report to their assigned po'okela (advisory) groups by 7:55 a.m. Dismissal is at 1:15 p.m.
Other notes for the new school year are as follows:
* Seniors who haven't yet scheduled their yearbook photo appointments should call Photography by Irvin at 242-9447 immediately. All photos need to be completed by the end of July. For more information, call Art Fillazar at 662-3976.
* Incoming transfer students must make an appointment with the school registrar, Barbie Otomo, for school enrollment. A copy of the previous school's transcript is required from all transfers. Students transferring from another Hawaii school should also bring a release packet from their previous school when enrolling. Students from a school outside of Hawaii must also present a tuberculosis clearance and physical exam report taken within the last 12 months, immunization shot records, birth certificate and a transcript or year-end-report from their previous school. Contact Otomo at 662-3979, ext. 244, to schedule an appointment. No appointments will be taken on July 17 and 18.
For more information, call Fillazar at 662-3976 or the school's main office at 662-4000.